Go BIG or go home! Airfix 1/24 Mosquito....again...

gunpowder

This has to be one of my favourite kits. I have built quite a few. After we lost our little Daughter i built one and sold it for charity , along with an airfix 1/24 spitfire , so i have a very soft spot for it. Both are on this site.  This one came courtesy of a facebook auction group and it came with Paragon , UC  set , exhaust set , and ammo belts. It also came with Radus belts , airscale instruments , brass gun barrels , fasteners and grils , and Barracuda Wheels , and for a fantastic price. I have just added to it with eduard interior and instrument panel , with plans to add the metal legs from SAC  and radiator from Eduard. I have the Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito so i can use that as referrence to scratchbuild some details too. This will be my own most detailed one so far.

Im very much looking forward to the journey. I like the Tamiya 1/32 mosquito , its exquiset , but to me the Airfix one is a bigger challenge and it has more "soul".

Stay tuned , this will be a long one....

QziJSip.jpg

Edited by gunpowder

Hey Gunpowder 

I'm doing one over on the LSM forum because

I can post pictures directly from my phone on there, check it out.

Im working with Bob Sousa from H&B Hobbies aka the distributor of RexX exhausts and he is working on a set for the 1/24 Airfix Mosquito. If your not familiar with RexX they do metal exhaust for 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 aircraft. They are galvanicly grown metal so they are extremely thin, already have a rusted used look, so no painting. But they are delicate. They are like the old Moskit ones. Should be ready in a couple weeks to a month. They will really spruce up the big Mossie.

Ron G 

Edited by RonGUSA

Andy-

Good to see you starting another Mossie. I will be following along on this journey, for sure! I have been tempted by this model a few times, and I hope Airfix will re-release it eventually.

Take Care, bud!

THOR    :ph34r:

OK people , change of plan. I have been feeling that the fun has been disappearing from my modelling. I think the main reason is obsessing over details. This normally means hours spent on extra detail , that to be honest nobody other than me is going to see , or i the case of some areas not even see. With that in mind i have decided to start a new kit. and only use whats in the box. If its the wrong shape , or appears to need more details added....tough luck , straight from the box rubber tyres and all!

Let the fun begin

Right new kit

yCzDjp0.jpg

2 minutes ago, gunpowder said:

OK people , change of plan. I have been feeling that the fun has been disappearing from my modelling. I think the main reason is obsessing over details. This normally means hours spent on extra detail , that to be honest nobody other than me is going to see , or i the case of some areas not even see.

Been there, done that

Have you tried binning a failed project? It's incredibly liberating

Richard

22 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Been there, done that

Have you tried binning a failed project? It's incredibly liberating

Richard

Agreed! It really is therapeutic to do it! My local club friends call it my happy dance when I curb stomp a troublesome kit...it sure takes the demons off your back though.....oooorrrrrr is that just me?