Lancaster weathering

Finn

1 minute ago, chuck540z3 said:

If you tried to replicate that with pre-shading, everyone would jump on you that they didn't like the "plaid look", because it unrealistic!  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Chuck

Judging by that picture, if you preshade every panel (which seems to be what people do if they don't check pictures of the prototype), it would be unrealistic

I'm liking the burn marks on the port outer engine

Richard

Isn't that called the 'spanish style' weathering? If you zoom in to the one guy, looks he is holding a bottle of AK panel high light color. :innocent:

On a serious note that plane is worn pretty heavily, Thanks for posting a good reference shot.

Edited by The Dude

Ok, for sake of argument, without actually wanting an argument since this topic has been beaten to death 10,000 times, if you made all of the panel lines on the top of the fuselage and all the many panel lines and other details on top of the wings highlighted by pre or post-shading, most would say that it's overdone and unrealistic.  I get that this is done too often in modeling and I dislike it myself on most models, but sometimes it is realistic.  I've made the Lancaster before and I know where the panel lines should be.  In the pic above, I can see 80% of them on the lighter colors, so a semi-plaid look would be realistic as well.

Case in point:  Overdone plaid or realistic, when compared to the above pic of the real deal?

ZNTxIG.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

7 hours ago, RLWP said:

Judging by that picture, if you preshade every panel (which seems to be what people do if they don't check pictures of the prototype), it would be unrealistic

I'm liking the burn marks on the port outer engine

Richard

Agreed. I've encountered quite a few of what I personally see as the plaid look run amok, and I think they look utterly ridiculous.

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

If you zoom in to the one guy, looks he is holding a bottle of AK panel high light color. :innocent:

that's quite the funniest thing I have read in a long time!

3 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Case in point:  Overdone plaid or realistic, when compared to the above pic of the real deal?

Chuck

firstly, I think that Lanc (yours I guess?) looks cool; but if we are really going to critique it *against the picture posted* (which may or may not be what the modeller had in mind), it doesn't quite hit it in my book

the fuselage pre-shading looks too big and the wing weathering / where the ribs are showing through on the wing in the real thing is actually more delicate but also more prevalent than shown in the model

i am not sure it's possible to replicate that wing weathering with the HK kit?

if they don't give you exactly where all those panels are, I don't see how you can do it?

I don't have the kit so apologies if this is exactly what they have moulded

cheers

Nick

That photo only shows how that particular plane looked at the time when the photo was taken. It is misguided to take that photo and apply it as an universal rule of thumb for all aircraft. Some Lancasters were shot down on their first mission when they were pristine. Some Lancasters went trough a few missions, flak barrages, clouds of oi/fuel/debris from other shot aircraft. Each was different. Each was different at different times.

In my own personal opinion, what goes for "weathering" these days is far too pronounced, too stark, too much. My suggestion is to seek more photos and find the "happy medium" between the dirtiest and the cleanest Lancaster.

Radu

A fantastic image and great reference. 

Something perhaps to consider is that the level of weathering applied to a build would surely have to come from references of the individual aircraft being modeled? 

Example, 617's aircraft would have likely not displayed anywhere near the levels of deterioration that would be displayed by squadron "line" aircraft which were being used day in day out for raids in extreme conditions whereas 617 aircraft were factory fresh from the conversion / upgrade and subsequently used for training sorties and the chastise raid itself. 

Likewise, and its sad to think about this, but to get to the level of deterioration depicted, the airframe would have to have survived quite a number of successful raids, as depicted by the mission markings in the image,  as in general, survivability rates weren't great. 

same would, I suppose, apply to B 17's and the like, 

Just my thoughts on an interesting topic.    

Edited by Phartycr0c

As Radu has implied you can legitimately finish your Lancaster in any condition you wish, from factory fresh to a beaten old warhorse. The one that I’ll be doing is PO-L (ME453) of 467 squadron RAAF. She was delivered from Avro (Yeadon) to Waddington on 4 February 1945 and shot down on 3 March, having completed a handful of ops.  During that month she was outside at dispersals in Lincolnshire’s balmy winter weather; lots of snow that winter. But despite all that, she would still have been fairly clean, so judicious weathering is the key.....and again I agree with Radu that it can be easily overdone. Less is more very often. 

1 hour ago, mozart said:

As Radu has implied you can legitimately finish your Lancaster in any condition you wish, from factory fresh to a beaten old warhorse. The one that I’ll be doing is PO-L (ME453) of 467 squadron RAAF. She was delivered from Avro (Yeadon) to Waddington on 4 February 1945 and shot down on 3 March, having completed a handful of ops.  During that month she was outside at dispersals in Lincolnshire’s balmy winter weather; lots of snow that winter. But despite all that, she would still have been fairly clean, so judicious weathering is the key.....and again I agree with Radu that it can be easily overdone. Less is more very often. 

Which is why my Dambuster will only be lightly weathered. :)