1/48th B-17C - Revell/Koster

tomprobert

The B-17 is my all-time favourite aircraft and I've always wanted to build an early version in 1/48th scale. I bought the excellent Koster conversion a few years ago which gives you a new rear fuselage and stabilisers to convert the Monogram B-17G to an earlier B/C/D model. The conversion also comes with a Cheyenne tail turret and staggered waist gun set up to make a late G-model - parts I'd used previously:

48947994947_fd1f5feb79_z.jpgDSC_0129 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The main components are all vacuform, and are molded very crisply. There are crystal clear canopies (the B/C/D models had a different flight deck arrangement as well as a more heavily framed nose piece) as well as decals for an early USAAF B-17C/D:

48947256298_d84ecc0ae3_z.jpgDSC_0123 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I decided to actually use the Revell B-17F kit, as it requires less modification to the nose than using the Monogram B-17G. However, you still have to do a fair bit of surgery to backdate the F to the earlier models. The nose needs cutting off and a section removed due to the shorter noses on the B/C/D models. The whole rear fuselage also needs removing just aft of the radio room:

48947252913_7e78f3c8a2_z.jpgIMG_E1390 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The new vacform rear fuselage can then be offered up to the Revell fuselage:

48947993627_78555ce627_z.jpgIMG_E1388 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Here the shortened nose has been reattached and mods carried out to the cheek windows which were the earlier style without the later enlarged cheek gun windows seen on the late E-model onwards:

48947993052_ffe63d591e_z.jpgIMG_E1428 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

It was then a case of painting the interior and gluing everything together:

48947997412_ffc6bfde4a_z.jpgIMG_1633 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

48947992572_9e03224ed0_z.jpgIMG_1632 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

And that's as far as things have progressed so far. All pretty straight-forward as far as conversions go, helped by the excellent quality and fit of the Koster parts. 

This will eventually be finished as an RAF Fortress MkI as a tribute to the pioneers of daylight bombing very early in the war. 

Tom

9 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Great work!!  Looking forward to seeing this one progress.  You're brave!

Thanks, Jennings!

It’s a fairly straightforward conversion to be honest - the Koster parts are sublime and fit the donor kit like a glove. I’m a bit apprehensive about fitting the new cockpit transparencies, but will cross that bridge when I get there. 

Tom

Beautiful work Tom!

odd to see two 1/48 B-17’s being built at the same time on the same forum with completely different ways of doing them, although with yours being the accurate version!

pulling up a chair here

11 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Fantastic work Tom! 

So glad you are doing this. As you know I love the early ones so I can't wait to see you do this. I'm assuming you're going to do an RAF plane?

Craig

Hi Craig - thanks for stopping by and yes indeed this will be a Fortress I of the early daylight raids over Europe. 

1 hour ago, RadBaron said:

Great work, very pretty :D

The Koster stuff was always of absolutely fantastic quality, pity he didnt do more!

Yes the Koster conversions are great quality. I’m after a Privateer conversion too as that’s one I’ve always wanted to do and have a spare Monogram B-24 ready and waiting...

53 minutes ago, chrish said:

Beautiful work Tom!

odd to see two 1/48 B-17’s being built at the same time on the same forum with completely different ways of doing them, although with yours being the accurate version!

pulling up a chair here

I know! Just like busses!

Edited by tomprobert