YB-40

32scalelover

On 10/22/2019 at 5:01 PM, Dennis7423 said:

Did the YB-40 have a retractable ball turret? The one in the photo sure is tucked up into the belly pretty far. It doesn't appear to be a remote turret, either. I also noticed that the tail gunner's position seems to have some additional armor, or improved field of vision going on. Pretty neat stuff!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

The picture Greg posted is actually an XB-40. The ball turret was indeed partially retractable which was designed to help reduce drag and help the heavier aircraft keep up with the rest of the formation when the ball wasn’t in use. Notice too the longer turtle deck over the radio room which was typical of the XB-40 as well as the unstaggered waist guns - the YB-40 introduce staggered waist gun windows which were later incorporated into the G-model. 

Tom

23 hours ago, patricksparks said:

I don't think you need 2 kits, the YB-40s were base on "F" airframes and most photos I have seen show no "Cheek guns" with the "G" fairings and the chin turret on the YB-40 is not the same shape as the production chin turrets. 

Hope this might help.

SUcojYt.jpg

This is an XB-40 with the three window arrangement - the YB-40 retained the F-style cheek window set up. 

Tom

7 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

That’s not a YB-40. It is in fact a standard B-17G named ‘West End’ of the 384th BG with an experimental fixed battery of 6 x .50cals and was installed at Wright field. It was flown operationally from Grafton Underwood on a few occasions in July ‘44. The guns were actually fired by the pilot!

Sadly it was badly damaged and written off after a crash landing on July 7th ‘44. 

In regard to a YB-40 conversion - the E/F would definitely be an easier starting point in regard to nose window arrangements, but as others have said a chin turret would need to be sourced - although this is different to the standard G model turret and has a small sighting window between the guns. 

The YB-40 retained a similar cheek gun window arrangement to the standard F model, whereas the earlier XB-40 retained the early three small nose windows on either side. 

YB-40s actually had staggered waist guns, so it does complicate things a little if you plan to use the F-kit. The earlier XB-40 retained the opposite waist window arrangement, but had a longer turtle deck which reduced the Martin turret’s range of motion. The YB-40 has the turtle deck reduced in length, enabling a full traverse for the turret. 

It’s a bit of a minefield doing a conversion like this! The B-17 is never an easy subject!

Tom

What I'm getting from this is that you could buy an E/F and a G to do a YB40, and could use all the leftover parts to build an early G with opposite waist guns. You'd just need to source a second stinger tail.  Would that be correct, Tom? Or grab the staggered waist sprues off ebay to go with the E/F kit...

1 hour ago, seiran01 said:

What I'm getting from this is that you could buy an E/F and a G to do a YB40, and could use all the leftover parts to build an early G with opposite waist guns. You'd just need to source a second stinger tail.  Would that be correct, Tom? Or grab the staggered waist sprues off ebay to go with the E/F kit...

Theoretically, that’d work,

but you’d need to source the second chin turret, too.

Although the XB-40/YB-40 tail turret is very similar to the standard stinger tail, there are subtle differences with the window framing due to armoured glass. 

Would it be easier to take a G kit and buy the nose section of a E/F to get the waist window stagger correct?  I see some of those on Ebay but no fuselage parts for the G.  Or does HK sell parts trees?

Greg

Edited by 32scalelover

Finding spare B-17 sprues is alas a nightmare. I tried contacting HK and also discussed with a guy who sells sprues on ebay but in spite of all my efforts I never succeeded in finding the top turret sprue of the Z/F kit. I should add I'm trying to get it for the last 18 months... ☹️ I guess it will finally be easier to scratchbuild the parts! 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HK-MODELS-B-17E-F-01E05-PARTS-SPRUE-Ee2-NOSE-SECTION-F-VERSION-1-32/293280230846?hash=item4448dd2dbe:g:zycAAOSwdOlcYKHr

Here is what I was thinking.  Can I use this nose on a G fuselage?  Not sure how to fix the stinger tail yet. I guess i could cast the stinger tail from my F/G and graft it onto the G tail.

One problem at a time.

Greg

Edited by 32scalelover