rigor

The cold

11 minutes ago, Stevepd said:

I managed to mow the lawn yesterday it was that nice!. Wonder when the last mow will be.....

Yes Steve, I need to get one last cut in before the winter. 

18 minutes ago, Stevepd said:

I managed to mow the lawn yesterday it was that nice!. Wonder when the last mow will be.....

6 minutes ago, mozart said:

I did a last cut a fortnight ago, and another one yesterday; and I'm not yet ruling out one more before Telford.

1 hour ago, mozart said:

just done about half of ours just now but I couldn't finish as I need to get dinner on

i wish we had colder winters in the UK - I hate the 'grey mush' we have for about 6 months of the year without it ever being a real cold winter, with snow etc

I couldn't imagine living anywhere with perpetual warmth / sun, but I could see myself in New England area of US where they seem to have a proper Summer and a proper Winter

Maybe one day...

6 hours ago, nmayhew said:

just done about half of ours just now but I couldn't finish as I need to get dinner on

i wish we had colder winters in the UK - I hate the 'grey mush' we have for about 6 months of the year without it ever being a real cold winter, with snow etc

I couldn't imagine living anywhere with perpetual warmth / sun, but I could see myself in New England area of US where they seem to have a proper Summer and a proper Winter

Maybe one day...

I lived in a climate like that for years.  Snow shoveling on the roof.  Double your drive time anytime there is fresh snow....that means get up early for work so you can also warm up and dig out the car....  shovel the driveway and walks when you get home....  hopefully the plow hasn’t pushed a ton of packed snow across your driveway.  Dark when you go to work and dark when you get home.  Freezing rain and idiot drivers who don’t understand that the problem with driving in icy conditions means slowing down very early and not using the brakes.  And best of all, nothing but gray skies from November through late February.

God bless Australia!!!

I may or may not mow one more time this year, but the Zoysia growth is really beginning to wind down now, so who knows. I will weed-whack the daylights out of it one more time though, hopefully in the next few weeks.

2 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I lived in a climate like that for years.  Snow shoveling on the roof.  Double your drive time anytime there is fresh snow....that means get up early for work so you can also warm up and dig out the car....  shovel the driveway and walks when you get home....  hopefully the plow hasn’t pushed a ton of packed snow across your driveway.  Dark when you go to work and dark when you get home.  Freezing rain and idiot drivers who don’t understand that the problem with driving in icy conditions means slowing down very early and not using the brakes.  And best of all, nothing but gray skies from November through late February.

God bless Australia!!!

Sounds to me like you lived in the upper midwest. Living here on the west side of Lake Michigan I certainly can relate to the cloudy sky all winter. That and "Lake effect" snow.  And you're right about idiot drivers who seem to forget that driving a 4 wheel drive SUV doesn't mean that you can stop any better.  But, aside from that, Fall is gorgeous with nice crisp days - if you don't mind the leaves, and summer is absolute pure heaven.  We don't have the fires they do out west, no danger of hurricanes or Nor'easters.  No drought, no floods, and only very rarely do we have a threat of a tornado. I love the change of seasons and the fact I can do different things at different times of the year.  I don't like driving on slippery roads, but since I'm retired I can sit by the window with a cup of coffee and laugh at the poor souls out there.  Truthfully, I don't think there is any place else I'd rather live.  Lake Michigan is 30 miles away, Chicago, Detroit and "Up North" are all about 3 hours from here, and yes, I was raised "up north" - near Traverse City.  Now, if you really want winter.........

1 hour ago, steinerman said:

Sounds to me like you lived in the upper midwest. Living here on the west side of Lake Michigan I certainly can relate to the cloudy sky all winter. That and "Lake effect" snow.  And you're right about idiot drivers who seem to forget that driving a 4 wheel drive SUV doesn't mean that you can stop any better.  But, aside from that, Fall is gorgeous with nice crisp days - if you don't mind the leaves, and summer is absolute pure heaven.  We don't have the fires they do out west, no danger of hurricanes or Nor'easters.  No drought, no floods, and only very rarely do we have a threat of a tornado. I love the change of seasons and the fact I can do different things at different times of the year.  I don't like driving on slippery roads, but since I'm retired I can sit by the window with a cup of coffee and laugh at the poor souls out there.  Truthfully, I don't think there is any place else I'd rather live.  Lake Michigan is 30 miles away, Chicago, Detroit and "Up North" are all about 3 hours from here, and yes, I was raised "up north" - near Traverse City.  Now, if you really want winter.........

I spent much of my life in Grand Traverse and Kalkaska Counties.  If I were a rich man, I’d live there from April until deer season.  Most beautiful area in the world.  I miss maple trees and a ton of places to choose from if I feel like fishing.  But I don’t miss winter one bit.

On 10/22/2019 at 9:41 AM, rigor said:

Everybody getting ready for winter :D

I much prefer Winter to Summer, but I live in Australia, so our Winters are mild compared to continental US and Europe.  

Couldn’t pay me to live in the southeast US.  Just variations of heat, with half the year or more being borderline unlivable (high 90’s, with dripping humidity).   You go from your airconditioned house to airconditioned car to airconditioned office and then repeat.     

No fun.   I’ll take New England weather any day, Nor’easters and all.     

Soon will be the season to be tearing through Michigan's snow filled back roads and trails with my jeep.

Can't wait!

Edited by kalashnikov-47

And we had a lovely 39C or 102.2F at 17:00 today. Middle of a heatwave. It's our rainy season, but so  far only 2mm in 4 months. Water restrictions in place, and our biggest inland dam that feeds most of the province (The Vaal dam) has dropped below 50%. Scary times ahead. 

45 minutes ago, Gerhard said:

And we had a lovely 39C or 102.2F at 17:00 today. Middle of a heatwave. It's our rainy season, but so  far only 2mm in 4 months. Water restrictions in place, and our biggest inland dam that feeds most of the province (The Vaal dam) has dropped below 50%. Scary times ahead. 

That sounds indeed scary :( leaves room for thoughts about the general

climatic situation!!!

Lothar

Southern California has been that way water-wise for years. I used a catch bucket in my shower for a long time. Also set up a rain water catch system.