HH-60G Pavehawk Kitty Hawk 1/35 DONE!!

Pete Fleischmann

An amazing build.  You have gathered some great reference photos.  Are you thinking (please, please) of putting together a book similar to the others you have done with Reid Air Publications? Or work with Kevin?  Just asking...

Thank you for some great inspiration.

Happy modeling,

Chris

15 hours ago, Dadeo911 said:

An amazing build.  You have gathered some great reference photos.  Are you thinking (please, please) of putting together a book similar to the others you have done with Reid Air Publications? Or work with Kevin?  Just asking...

Thank you for some great inspiration.

Happy modeling,

Chris

Hi Chris-

kev and I are exploring that possibility!

more to follow-

cheers

Pete

Hey all-

Minor do-over...

Before I left for a 2 day airline trip, I set the rotor assembly in place on the model just to see how it behaved. Well when I got home last night, 2 of the 4 blades had drooped a bit over that short period.

I did get to hang out with Timmy! In SAN while I was gone though- good times! 

Sooo...OK. No big deal.. just need to run a wire down the blades and get them back where I want ‘em.

I used a plastic cutter to scribe a line along the bottom of each blade (I did all four just to be sure) and used a file to clean out a groove-

PFccm99.jpg

then I tacked a length of .030 brass wire into the groove-

LGH2MzK.jpg

I’ll blend the fix in with JB Weld and repaint.. here you can see the blades back up with the wires tacked in place- back on track

dCJDBik.jpg

cheers

Pete

Looks like you fixed it just fine, Pete. So that means the resin does droop over time I guess.

I talked to Harold about it when he was making the blades.

I seem to recall Chris Miller from Cobra Company saying the same thing about his resin Huey blades he made. I guess I'll go the same approach with my blades. 

Great recovery!!!

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

21 minutes ago, Hawkwrench said:

Is JB weld hard to sand when dry???

Tim

not at all-

Just wet sand it. It feathers beautifully and you can scribe through it without it cracking or flaking. 
You can smooth it with acetone (or nail polish) before it sets up..it’s the bomb.

P

1 hour ago, easixpedro said:

Welldoneyou! This last piece will ensure it’ll stay just as you envisioned it. Loving how this has come together for the final bits. I would say check the wire, but with JB Weld, it’s not going anywhere in our lifetimes.

Thanks Booger-

I think this project really likes hanging out on my bench...it always seems to find a reason to stay a little longer!

all good. I have zero timeline..when it’s done it’s done.

P

Thanks all for the cheerleading!

This was a good lesson for me, and certainly no criticism of Harold’s casting work- we chatted about the possibility of droop given the limitations of any resin..I knew it was possible, so that’s why I let the blades sit up in place for a few days before I finished the assembly..just to see what happened.

Anyhoo- the fix is underway and working out just fine. Here are the blades with the supports in place after the first rough sanding 

AmF9Mk7.jpg

The top sides of the blades are unmolested, so I’ll just have to repaint the bottoms..all good!

cheers

Pete

from any angle, this work of art looks stupendous. I don't find the brass rod to be distracting, it is a very subtle hint at the gold medal this deserves...

Sorry to ask because I don't think we have JB weld in Switzerland, but is it a two components clear epoxy?

Cheers,

David

29 minutes ago, Dukie99 said:

Sorry to ask because I don't think we have JB weld in Switzerland, but is it a two components clear epoxy?

here is a link to the product on the website of a (for me) local supplier.  link to datasheet is on the page, but he also stocks the other JB weld products.

https://www.jb-weld.co.uk/kwikweldsyr