HH-60G Pavehawk Kitty Hawk 1/35 DONE!!

Pete Fleischmann

17 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

That looks so incredibly good.  Pretty real.

What's the reason for the different colored bands on the hub?  So they don't get the blades mixed up?

Matt 

When I was in engineering college in the mid-80s, myself and a fellow classmate decided to write our diploma thesis on maintenance of Norwegian Air Ambulance's BO-105 helicopters.  We even managed to join in for a test flight:)  Anyway, the main rotor blades had a similar colour coding on the pitchlinks to each blade from the swashplate.  After replacing rotor blades or doing other work that might affect the blades' trajectory, they mounted coloured cats' eyes to the tip of each blade corresponding to the colour of each blade/pitchlink.  The technician would then use a strobelight during flight to check that the cats' eyes (the light bouncing off the cats' eyes, making them appear as four coloured lights in the sky) were at the same level.  If one blade was out, they would go back to the ground, bend the trim tab slightly to make the blade higher or lower as required, and try again.  Seeing these coloured bands on the tail rotor made me think they serve a similar function.

19 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

Nope, the T/R sits too high to be affected by exhaust stains. Never seen an Army or AF hawk with stains from the exhaust. Before the UES, the hawks had the HIRSS style exhaust (which is what Pete's model depicts) and those exhausts blow down and slightly away from the tailboom.

Tim

Dang... Wish we had that! the 76 which I just started flogging around get D I R T Y, perhaps not as bad as the Bell 214ST, but superb work!

Seriously good work Pigfighter. The dust caked everywhere just boggles my mind. 

I was going through the HD looking for Prowler pics and came across these. Our maintenance huts backed up to the evac hospital, and they'd blow the metal flashing off our huts darned near every time they took off. Check out the dust on the rotor blades.

100_1254

Here's some really poor screen captures from videos of them taking off (you nailed the weathering underneath):

CSAR Bird-2 CSAR Bird

In this shot, I'm standing in the door of my hut/office as they get ready to go out on a CASEVAC mission.

CSAR Bird-3

I'd post more, but the videos are crap due to the technology at the time. Just figured you'd like some 'in-action' shots of what you're so expertly depicting!

2 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Seriously good work Pigfighter. The dust caked everywhere just boggles my mind. 

I was going through the HD looking for Prowler pics and came across these. Our maintenance huts backed up to the evac hospital, and they'd blow the metal flashing off our huts darned near every time they took off. Check out the dust on the rotor blades.

100_1254

Here's some really poor screen captures from videos of them taking off (you nailed the weathering underneath):

CSAR Bird-2 CSAR Bird

In this shot, I'm standing in the door of my hut/office as they get ready to go out on a CASEVAC mission.

CSAR Bird-3

I'd post more, but the videos are crap due to the technology at the time. Just figured you'd like some 'in-action' shots of what you're so expertly depicting!

These are great pics Booger!

thanks for posting!, they are validating!!!

cheers

Pigfighter