HH-60G Pavehawk Kitty Hawk 1/35 DONE!!

Pete Fleischmann

Looking epic Pig!  How are you going to display it? I ask as I'm working on my own 'Nam CSAR scene and have hidden the support rod through the rescue swimmer that is jumping out the door.

Also, given any thoughts to the rotor blades? The Rotors on my previous H-3 build (over on Z5 and now at the Midway Museum) looked rather droopy. Could never get them to look like they were in a hovering state. There's a chap over on BM who is working on a 1/72 C-130 HH-3 in flight scene and he's used metal rods through the rotors and attached to the mast. May go that route, but need to investigate further.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing more. As always, thanks for sharing your magnificent work!

1 hour ago, easixpedro said:

Looking epic Pig!  How are you going to display it? I ask as I'm working on my own 'Nam CSAR scene and have hidden the support rod through the rescue swimmer that is jumping out the door.

Also, given any thoughts to the rotor blades? The Rotors on my previous H-3 build (over on Z5 and now at the Midway Museum) looked rather droopy. Could never get them to look like they were in a hovering state. There's a chap over on BM who is working on a 1/72 C-130 HH-3 in flight scene and he's used metal rods through the rotors and attached to the mast. May go that route, but need to investigate further.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing more. As always, thanks for sharing your magnificent work!

Hey Booger-

I am planning on mounting it on a square brass rod- typical of my other in-flight builds.

I am also planning on using the rotor blades from the Academy kit; as they are molded with no droop..and I’ll figure out how to mount them in a hover configuration.

thanks for the kind words my friend!

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

1 hour ago, Michael931080 said:

WOW Pete!  You have certainly stepped up your game on this build!

That is some serious modelling skills showing through on this one!

Thanks Michael!

I like to think that we all evolve as modelers with each build..even if a little.

this one has been fun. To me, helicopters like this have a lot in common with armor- they get dirty; dusty boot prints on the floor and greasy guns..so I’ve had to learn/borrow some techniques from my armor friends to replicate what I see in my references. For a jet guy, my envelope is expanding..and one of the results is the fact that I am now fascinated with figure painting- and I realized quickly that I know virtually nothing about it- more to learn- 

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

15 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

For a jet guy, my envelope is expanding..and one of the results is the fact that I am now fascinated with figure painting- and I realized quickly that I know virtually nothing about it- more to learn- 

Hi Pete

Your figures look fantastic and some of the most realistic I have seen. I am not fond of the trend in some forums where the figures of soldiers and aircrew have doll-like eyes and look as if they are wearing make-up, and with over-emphasized shadows. 

Nick

On 2/6/2020 at 6:07 AM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Pete

C4KmNwX.jpg

I have to ask, and maybe I missed it somewhere in the building log, but all the boxes and gizmos in the ceiling panels, are they all scratch built as well? What about the decals you applied? Are they left overs from previous kits? Does these additions relate closely to those found on the ceiling, or just products of invention on your part, with a loose connection to reality?.

I know that you have been asked by other to make a full replica of the ceiling in resin, and I definitely see why that would not work. But a resin set of the boxes, radios and pressure lines, or what ever that stuff is, would definitely be possible. I am also certain that a least the guy's following the build would be interested in buying one or more sets, I know I will be. I hope to build at least one of every H-60 kit Kittyhawk makes, and apparently, each will need these inlays. If I tried to put them into my Academy kits as well, I would likely need close to ten sets of these. What I didn't use, could be used as spares in other builds, to busy up electronics bays and such anyway.

I will try not to bombard your build with questions, but I can see that you have a skillset that you claim is not difficult, with patience and time. That is the makings of a sound recipe that can be absorbed and executed with success by new builders. Between your amazing figures and the shocking life-like appearance, and this build, I am hooked.

Thanks for sharing with us all, nothing like a masterclass from a true artist such as yourself!

Anthony

PS. If you don't want me to go read all your build logs, then ask new questions there, you should hide them all now, destroy any evidence they existed and develop retrograde amnesia to boot!

18 hours ago, Stalker6recon said:

I have to ask, and maybe I missed it somewhere in the building log, but all the boxes and gizmos in the ceiling panels, are they all scratch built as well? What about the decals you applied? Are they left overs from previous kits? Does these additions relate closely to those found on the ceiling, or just products of invention on your part, with a loose connection to reality?.

I know that you have been asked by other to make a full replica of the ceiling in resin, and I definitely see why that would not work. But a resin set of the boxes, radios and pressure lines, or what ever that stuff is, would definitely be possible. I am also certain that a least the guy's following the build would be interested in buying one or more sets, I know I will be. I hope to build at least one of every H-60 kit Kittyhawk makes, and apparently, each will need these inlays. If I tried to put them into my Academy kits as well, I would likely need close to ten sets of these. What I didn't use, could be used as spares in other builds, to busy up electronics bays and such anyway.

I will try not to bombard your build with questions, but I can see that you have a skillset that you claim is not difficult, with patience and time. That is the makings of a sound recipe that can be absorbed and executed with success by new builders. Between your amazing figures and the shocking life-like appearance, and this build, I am hooked.

Thanks for sharing with us all, nothing like a masterclass from a true artist such as yourself!

Anthony

PS. If you don't want me to go read all your build logs, then ask new questions there, you should hide them all now, destroy any evidence they existed and develop retrograde amnesia to boot!

Hi Anthony,

thank you for the kind words! Yes- all of the gizmos are scratchbuilt, created to replicate as closely as possible what I see in reference photos specific to the late-block HH-60G..same with the decals..I search my decal stash and aftermarket sheets such as ANYZ and others to find placards that match those references..and I do feel that all of this truly is easy..it just takes time, some effort, but most importantly, a set of standards or parameters for the build that you commit to, that make you happy and are in line with your creative vision. For me, I also commit to “no timeline “. If it takes a year, or two years to complete the build, so be it. If the process is in line with my vision, then the end result, whenever that occurs, will be satisfying.

cheers

Pete

7 hours ago, Dope737 said:

Damn dude!  Your figures look real!

Thanks Chris..still learning..but the figure painting bug hit me hard! My middle kid is off to Army Infantry Officer school, which means Airborne and Ranger school for sure, and then probably SF- so I’ve got figure projects lined up from inspiration I got from him and his path..good stuff.

cheers,

Pig

Hey all-

got about 14 hours at home before my next flight. Figured I’d try to build something..here is a comm cord out of .010 lead wire with some connectors from the watch parts bag. Organic shapes like this are always a challenge..picking the right material helps. The lead wire is very malleable and easy to form into natural shapes. This, and the grab ring that hold it in place will get paint, and the north end of the cord gets a clip to secure it to the edge of the sidewall.

cheers

PeteTqOShXZ.jpg