HH-60G Pavehawk Kitty Hawk 1/35 DONE!!

Pete Fleischmann

5 hours ago, John1 said:

What did you use for the paint chips and grunge on the square cross-sectioned structural beams?    

Any chance you you have a pic of the original kit part before you worked your magic?   

Hi John,

Super easy! Prior to any chipping, the whole assembly gets dry brushed with a lighter version of the base color. The paint chips are Vallejo RLM 61 German black-brown, applied with a tiny fleck of foam held with a tweezer. I use a technique similar to dry brushing- blotting most of the paint off of the foam on a paper towel before tapping the chipping on the model. 

The rope rings were brush brush painted with Tamiya red, then chipped as above with the RLM 61, then just a whisper of dry brushing with MM jet exhaust for the shiny areas. Jet exhaust is my go-to for dry brushing fresh exposed metal. Silver is too bright. Any bright spots you see are jet exhaust.

The grunge is an oil wash applied over an X22 gloss coat. I use a mix of burnt sienna and Payne’s grey. Let it sit for a while and set up..it blends beautifully with a pointed Q tip once it has sat for about 20 minutes.

like I said- super easy! Thanks for the kind words..

let me look and and see if I shot a pic of that part before I painted it-

cheers

Pete

That is looking superb Pete, great job.

What I particularly admire about your work is the realism brought about by the attention to detail. The wire bundles have a realistic haphazard appearance with different thicknesses to the bundles. The patches of chipping and wear are all thought out and not just randomly dotted all over simply for the sake of it. Certain high travel areas have dirt and grime applied but it is n't over the whole so again, looks perfectly real. 

This is both inspirational and motivational and it's just the ceiling and might be hard to see on the completed model. Amazing.

Looking forward to more.

Cheers.

Thanks G-dub and all for the encouraging words! Greatly appreciated friends!

I needed a break from the ceiling work, so I thought I’d take a stab at the ALQ-144 IR disco light. First time using this Hasegawa irredentist film- 

NAMqb47.jpg6qtQhga.jpg    

It it was a little tricky to apply. It is adhesive backed and very thin, and somewhat stretchy..similar to BMF-

cheers

Pete

56 minutes ago, Hawkwrench said:

How did you make the cabin lights? I'd like to borrow that idea for my MH-60L.

Tim

hi Tim!

I started with the 4mm lenses from Resicast- they worked better that the MV variety because the Resicast ones are flat on the backside.. I simply built the boxes for the lights out of plastcard. The characteristic blue dots are blue decal film discs, punched out with the #3 Waldron punch.

super easy-

cheers

Pete