HH-60G Pavehawk Kitty Hawk 1/35 DONE!!

Pete Fleischmann

41 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

...thinking I’m gonna leave it. There is no hiding the fact that it’s on a stick, so I’ll just polish the brass and embrace it!

I know Plastruct and other manus make clear rod, but I really don't think they would be nearly strong enough for this job at that size, so for the smaller square hole like that I think brass is about the smartest option out there.

I think you'd have to go a lot bigger in diameter to make a clear rod work, so I agree embracing the brass is the best solution for the current helo mount.

46 minutes ago, Hawkwrench said:

Woah!!! Looks spot on. Pete.

Some serious pitch being pulled for that rescue. 

Great idea for the jig and numbered holder.

Why does it matter about the blades???

Tim

Because I drilled the mounting holes by hand for the hub and blades, so each hole and peg are somewhat unique by a few microns here and there..but I know the number 4 blade fits in the number 4 hole perfectly, etc-

34 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Because I drilled the mounting holes by hand for the hub and blades, so each hole and peg are somewhat unique by a few microns here and there..but I know the number 4 blade fits in the number 4 hole perfectly, etc-

Ah, I see.

You'll have to tell me how you setup the blade pitch angle and the jig you made to show the upward angle of the blades.

Tim

Damn Pig that’s spectacular. Nice job capturing that instantaneous moment in time—the rotor blades are top notch. 

As an aside, I had to chuckle seeing your Viper pic from Shaw. If we ever meet, I’ll have to tell the story of my first squadron getting into a full on fist fight with the 55th at Incirlik. Buffoonery on all accounts, but makes for some great storytelling...!

Booger

9 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Damn Pig that’s spectacular. Nice job capturing that instantaneous moment in time—the rotor blades are top notch. 

As an aside, I had to chuckle seeing your Viper pic from Shaw. If we ever meet, I’ll have to tell the story of my first squadron getting into a full on fist fight with the 55th at Incirlik. Buffoonery on all accounts, but makes for some great storytelling...!

Booger

Reminds me of the time I got into a full-on brawl with an F-4G WSO in Saudi. Good times!

cheers

p

10 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

Are you going to describe how you adjusted the blade pitch in the ebook?

Tim

Hi Tim,

this photo should explain most of it-

aaJJSsE.jpg

I separated the pitch knuckles from the rotor head. a brass rod goes through the pitch rod knuckle into the blade. I cut the brass rod so that it extended out of the knuckle enough to be inserted into a hole in the rotor head. The hole in the rotor head is slightly oversized, allowing me to set the blades with some dihedral. I designed a simple jig that set the dihedral and pitch at the same time. The blades were set with JB Weld.

Jt911uB.jpg

the rotor head was set in the jig with a screw. Each blade was set individually by rotating the rotor head to index marks on the jig. Not glamorous but it worked.

cheers

P

Edited by Pete Fleischmann