HH-60G Pavehawk Kitty Hawk 1/35 DONE!!

Pete Fleischmann

Hey all-

I need straight-ish, lift-producing rotor blades for this display. Kitty Hawk did 99.99% of us a huge favor by molding the blades with droop; but not gonna work for me-

I thought I could flatten them by clamping them to a flat steel strip and using my heat gun to coax them straight.

nope.

huge fail.

sooo- the old Academy kit has straight blades, so I grafted the straight Academy blade to the Kitty Hawk root section. Harold at AMS Resin kindly agreed to cast me blades from my master, saving me from scratching out the rest of them-

3cXh5CG.jpg

little more to do- of course the Academy blade was too big in chord and thickness- careful sanding with a block on a glass plate did the trick.

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann
Speling

Can’t tell from the photo.  Can you get a smidge of aerodynamic twist in them.  Just a few degrees higher AOA at the root than the tip.  Maybe they can get molded with a wee bit of twist in the mold.

If too much effort don’t worry about it.   

13 minutes ago, Timmy! said:

Can’t tell from the photo.  Can you get a smidge of aerodynamic twist in them.  Just a few degrees higher AOA at the root than the tip.  Maybe they can get molded with a wee bit of twist in the mold.

If too much effort don’t worry about it.   

For sure!

lucky for me the extra thickness of the Academy blade played right into my hand- I was able to mount the Kitty Hawk root section with a smidge of +AOA, and sand back the Academy section to match..and the pitch fades towards the tip along the leading edge

yay me!

P

4 hours ago, Timmy! said:

Or you could try this one. IWould be nteresting to try to add motors and sound...

Timmy!

fyi.  Nobody died and the helo was rebuilt only to be shot down in the ‘Stan.  

Yeah, no!!!

I'll pass on that.

I'm scared to even attempt an in-flight after Pete's work. Let alone the re-riveting of the entire helo.

Tim