HH-60G Pavehawk Kitty Hawk 1/35 DONE!!

Pete Fleischmann

36 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Thanks Tim! That is pretty much what I’m going for- helps a lot!!

cheers

P

That's an incredible pic. Lot's of danger right there. Look at the pitch of the blades as they hold a hover next to the side of the mountain. I'm guessing at altitude too. 

Mountain flying and helos aint exactly for the faint of heart. On the plus side, I have no doubt that you'll nail that look Pig. That model will look like it's struggling to maintain a hover with everything it's hauling...

You're gunna luck out a little by posing the helo in a hover.   You won't have to worry about variable pitch or lead lag in the blades, that voodoo only happens in forward flight, though they would do it a bit if hovering on a windy day.  All you need to put in a bunch of pitch into the main blades, cone them a bit and bend them up.  The tail rotor will be working hard too so you'll have to add a bunch of pitch to those blades.

Also helicopters don't hover level because if the thrust the tail rotor makes.  If the helicopter hovered level it would drift sideways from the tail rotor thrust.  So helo's always have a little bank in to compensate for the tail rotor thrust.  I always think left wheel low because that's what hits the ground first when landing.  It's not much of an angle, just enough to make and IPMS judge say, (in my best Napoleon Dynamite voice) "Uh it's a good model, but uh it's in the stick crooked, uh no way that thing gets a medal."

Also, do you drink 1%? Is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to.

Timmy!

3 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

Nice work Pete! The irony of a Viper pilot building a ceiling fan!! Are you still flying the mighty Bus?

Cheers

Alan

I am! They just made me a check airman/instructor on the A320, so I am busier than most with the downtown at the airlines-

cheers

Pete

1 hour ago, Timmy! said:

You're gunna luck out a little by posing the helo in a hover.   You won't have to worry about variable pitch or lead lag in the blades, that voodoo only happens in forward flight, though they would do it a bit if hovering on a windy day.  All you need to put in a bunch of pitch into the main blades, cone them a bit and bend them up.  The tail rotor will be working hard too so you'll have to add a bunch of pitch to those blades.

Also helicopters don't hover level because if the thrust the tail rotor makes.  If the helicopter hovered level it would drift sideways from the tail rotor thrust.  So helo's always have a little bank in to compensate for the tail rotor thrust.  I always think left wheel low because that's what hits the ground first when landing.  It's not much of an angle, just enough to make and IPMS judge say, (in my best Napoleon Dynamite voice) "Uh it's a good model, but uh it's in the stick crooked, uh no way that thing gets a medal."

Also, do you drink 1%? Is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to.

Timmy!

I like your sleeves...they’re real big..

On 12/2/2020 at 9:48 AM, Pete Fleischmann said:

I really feel that we as aircraft modelers could use some help in the figure department, based on my own experience trying to research techniques for figure painting that were easy and repeatable. The best books I found are any by Mr. Black- I highly recommend them.

cheers

Pete

Sorry for what is probably going to be a dumb question: "Mr. Black"?  Can you elaborate?

As has been mentioned before, this build is truly inspirational.

Thank you.

Take care,

Chris

5 hours ago, Dadeo911 said:

Sorry for what is probably going to be a dumb question: "Mr. Black"?  Can you elaborate?

As has been mentioned before, this build is truly inspirational.

Thank you.

Take care,

Chris

Hi Chris

This will get you pointed in the right direction https://www.mrblackpublications.com/

11 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

I am! They just made me a check airman/instructor on the A320, so I am busier than most with the downtown at the airlines-

cheers

Pete

Awesome Pete! I haven't touched a bird in a very long time... 

Great job on the helo!

Cheers and fly safe

Alan

11 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

Here ya go 

20201207_230452

I used Tamiya Weathering Set D "Burnt Red" for my hot section. 

Tim

LOL,  when I worked as a contractor at GE's Aircraft Engines plant in Lynn, MA (they make the Hawk's engines, amongst other things), I remember seeing dozens of those lined up for shipment and never had any idea what they were.