HH-60G Pavehawk Kitty Hawk 1/35 DONE!!

Pete Fleischmann

eXq32o4.jpg

zy7sss3.jpg

Hello All!

While I was waiting for this kit to show up, I completed the Live Resin figures.. link to that here

click me

The first thing that jumped out at me with the kit was the cabin roof. The later block of Pavehawk has most of the fabric sound-proofing material removed. I considered scratchbuilding the entire affair, but decided it would take about the same amount of time to simply re-work the kit part. The cross-hatch areas are what needed to be removed. Many evenings with a drill and file and I was done with the basics. This will get detailed further-

Cheers

Pete

9zqYmzi.jpg 

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

Hi,

I've been looking at this kit so I'll be watching your build with interest.  I haven't picked up one yet but I do like those crew figures you dressed so nicely.  If I get this kit, I'll definitely have to pick up a set of those crew figures.

Of note is the prominent electrical wiring harnesses (Left and Right Main Harnesses) running down each side of the upper cabin structure at approximately 1/3 BL left and right of BL 0.  I can't remember the exact butline locations as I've not looked at one of these guys since late 2011.   I used the 1/3 as a fraction of where the harnesses run in relation to the width of the cabin roof.  If memory serves, they beak apart around station 308 (back of the cabin; again if memory serves).  You're probably already aware of these but just in case you're not....

Are you planning on using the Robbie tank in the cabin?

I used to work the modification line for Sikorsky FMS sales until they closed our plant.  Got some great mental notes but any photos were strictly verboten there.

Looks like a great start!  

Edited by Juggernut
Spelling

Hi Juggernut-

thanks for checking in! Didn’t realize you were part of Sikorsky..was that Coatsville? I am partial to the Pavehawk because it was Sikorsky that brought us to CT- my wife was brought on as the USAF Program Manager, and was with Sikorsky at Stratford for about 10 years-

To answer your question; no- I am not planning on installing the Robbie fuel tank- I have a bud from the Long Island reserve rescue unit who flew these in Afghanistan, and he told me they removed it to make more room for the CSAR mission-

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

20 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Hi Juggernut-

thanks for checking in! Didn’t realize you were part of Sikorsky..was that Coatsville? I am partial to the Pavehawk because it was Sikorsky that brought us to CT- my wife was brought on as the USAF Program Manager, and was with Sikorsky at Stratford for about 10 years-

To answer your question; no- I am not planning on installing the Robbie fuel tank- I have a bud from the Long Island reserve rescue unit who flew these in Afghanistan, and he told me they removed it to make more room for the CSAR mission-

cheers

Pete

No, I was at the Horseheads, NY facility (HawkWorks).  We got the green UH-60M's from Stratford  and turned them into S-70's for various FMS customers.  We even got a few shells (bare fuselages from Troy, Alabama). 

All Schweizer's light helicopters (300C, 300C-1, 333, 333M, and 434) were rebranded under the Sikorsky Global Helicopters name and moved to Coatsville but Coatsville couldn't build the turbine light helicopters, there was too much "tribal knowledge" involved in building it.  I think they pretty much shut the light helicopters down but I just read an article that they're closing the Coatsville facility by the end of the year.  S-92's and S-76's will be moved to Owego, NY (not far from Horseheads).  Not  sorry I moved to PA as the job/pay was way better than working the production line with an MBA....

Most of our FMS S-70's had the Robinson tanks in them as that's what the customer wanted (and they ordered a butload of them). 

I have heard that these HH-60G's aren't used for insertion/extraction very much, if at all, any more.  Pity, I'm partial to those types of operations.  Guess that comes from growing up with a Dad that worked on highly classified stuff for the RC-135's (Rivet Joint and Combat Sent aircraft).

Edited by Juggernut
forgot a close parens