Academy Mh 60S

chrish

A work in progress. I'm bringing you in quite late here. I started this build about 3 weeks ago.

I tackled this because I wanted to confront my demon "photo etch" (I bought the kit pre-owned and it came with an internal photo-etc upgrade set) As a bonus it has difficult decals as well.

I usually have trouble with decals and accept that it's something I'm doing wrong which has lead to some inventive work around's not least of which is learning creative masking jobs. 

My usual disclaimer; This is not an historically correct model aircraft.

NR7lVgL.jpg

sheep skin seat covers from Tamiya putty

JMK4wQQ.jpg

The panel, all lit up like it's powered...

O70auEg.jpg

kLTUw4S.jpg

basic assembly almost done

nGW3to8.jpg

using my tried and somewhat true method of wet paper to mask, scans of the decals (some tested decals wouldn't lay down on flat surfaces, and lifted after drying so I was fairly sure the corrugated surface would kill them) 

eWMuMgc.jpg

Thanks for looking and encouraging (contributing to my delinquency?) on the project. I'm tinkering on little odds and ends now to try to keep the interest burning while I await strong decal solvent (Solvaset) to try beating the remaining decals into submission.

on a side note, I used an Exacto swivel blade (went through 2 blades) to make the masks, a great purchase if you (I) don't have and don't know how to use a die cutter.

10 hours ago, shark64 said:

Its looking very nice.  your work on masking is spectacular.

Well thank you very much! I was inspired to try the project by seeing your build! I could never hope to match your quality and attention to detail though!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for looking in/ commenting

It's back on the shelf (while I make propellers for my B-17) I was dreading the decals (as I so often do) and awaiting some thermonuclear decal solvent to help bed the things down...Solvaset. It worked on some but not all. I used every sol. solution in my (limited) arsenal but the decals laughed at me, they didn't laugh when i brushed lacquer thinner on them! desperate times/ desperate measures. In any case the decals are on for the most part and finishing painting and weathering is under way.

Vh2KW0m.jpg

dsOJ0aS.jpg

HUZ2f7q.jpg

UjqSuqQ.jpg

Again, thanks for looking.