Chipping lacquers

Woody V

After trying enamels (takes too long to dry) and acrylics (they hate me) I've decided to go with lacquers. MRP is great but hard to get in the US so I'm going with Mr. Color. 

My go-to method for chipping has always been to paint the model with AK Xtreme Metal, then paint and then scratch off the paint to reveal the "metal" underneath. I haven't experimented yet but I doubt the scratch-off method will work with lacquers so my question is: Is there a trick to accomplishing this with lacquers? 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

hairspray technique 

1 base coat / primer

2 your metaillic of choice

3 hairspray (look for a Mike Rinaldi vid on YouTube - he does it live in a shop and it is dead easy) - arm's length-ish and a few light passes; MR uses Tresemme mid hold i belive

4 top coat colour(s)

5 dab water on *lightly* at first with brush to start the chipping, and away you go

Sprue just started carrying MRP btw

MRP is notoriously hard to chip, but is consistent and controllable once you get it going

it can also be chipped days / weeks afterwards

hope this is of use

Nick

I’m not sure how you can even chip a lacquer, the whole point of hairspray chipping, is that the hairspray mixes with the acrylic and creates a weak top coat that can be washed away with water. That is why you need to clear coat acrylic after. I would love to have someone prove me wrong, but I had not seen lacquer chipped this way.

I have seen people use masking fluid, salt, and “other” things to aid in removing lacquer after painting. 

37 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

I’m not sure how you can even chip a lacquer, the whole point of hairspray chipping, is that the hairspray mixes with the acrylic and creates a weak top coat that can be washed away with water. That is why you need to clear coat acrylic after. I would love to have someone prove me wrong, but I had not seen lacquer chipped this way.

sorry but that's utter nonsense

check out vids on Doogs Models (Matt is a member here) on YouTube, or there is a tutorial from Will Pattinson also on YouTube - he specifically talks about - and demos - chipping MRP which is a lacquer

6 hours ago, nmayhew said:

sorry but that's utter nonsense

check out vids on Doogs Models (Matt is a member here) on YouTube, or there is a tutorial from Will Pattinson also on YouTube - he specifically talks about - and demos - chipping MRP which is a lacquer

I would like to see Doogs respond here then, as I believe he uses the salt method.

edit: I just watched his “P-47 Build Log 03”, I stand corrected, it appears that is you do work at it hard enough, it will chip. Good to know.

Edited by 1to1scale

3 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

MRP can indeed be chipped, but it does take a little more work:

Q1nj3x.jpg

In some ways, the extra effort required means that you have more control, and are less likely to overdo it.

Kev

Did you use water and a brush, or did you poke at it with a toothpick?

Edited by 1to1scale

3 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

Did you use water and a brush, or did you poke at it with a toothpick?

A combination of both. You need the water/brush combination to work the water in and get things moving. And you don't want to wait too long before you start chipping, or it'll just get harder and harder to do. But it can certainly be done.

Kev

17 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Technically MRP is an acrylic lacquer

There are two basic forms of lacquer; nitrocellulose and acrylic. Nitrocellulose polymer based lacquer fell out of favor many years ago because it yellows, but it's still used in special applications like guitar restoration because the yellowing simulates patina. Acrylic lacquer is so named because the polymer is acrylic based, the very same acrylic as "plexiglass". Acrylic polymers do not yellow and therefore make up the vast majority of paints today.

I believe that there is a common misconception that "acrylic" paints are somehow water based, but that's not true. The term acrylic refers to the polymer component.

19 hours ago, nmayhew said:

hairspray technique 

1 base coat / primer

2 your metaillic of choice

3 hairspray (look for a Mike Rinaldi vid on YouTube - he does it live in a shop and it is dead easy) - arm's length-ish and a few light passes; MR uses Tresemme mid hold i belive

4 top coat colour(s)

5 dab water on *lightly* at first with brush to start the chipping, and away you go

Sprue just started carrying MRP btw

MRP is notoriously hard to chip, but is consistent and controllable once you get it going

it can also be chipped days / weeks afterwards

hope this is of use

Nick

Thank you, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear.