1/32 Tamiya F-16c Aggressor

Squizzy 78

I've been wanting to start an Aggressor Viper for awhile now, collecting decals and bits and pieces of aftermarket details, now it's time for a fresh start! 

Having followed the awesome builds by Marcel, it's not hard to see the attraction to the aggressor birds, they're colourful, mean looking and they catch the eye.

48906732941_23a2a603b2_b.jpg

Theres still more yo get, including zactomodels sidewinders and maybe aim-120's. I'm sure that there will be more along the way, but I'll get started.

I have the Tamiya kit, so I'll build a big mouthed viper, I have plenty of decals for a standard mouth bird, and the KASL exhausts, but it's hard to find an Academy F-16, but on line some hobby stores have future releases of academy vipers with ANG markings. Fingers crossed!

48910966473_33f9fc360a_b.jpg

48911492626_d2f690a126_b.jpg

My biggest problem is picking what set of decals to use. My tossing up between the Arctic Aggressor during 2008 by Afterburner,  the arctic Aggressors during 2017 by Two Bobs and the Blue Splinter during 2018 by Two Bobs.

To start off I'm just going to get started on some of the smaller bits and pieces that will go into the build.

48911711692_664286f752_b.jpg

Hopefully I'll have more to come soon, and with a decision on what markings I'll use.

Thanks for looking.

I was going to ask how you were planning to address the block 30 from 50 issues like the lightweight landing gear, bulged main gear doors (and area immediately forward of them), different style landing lights (not on the nose gear door), etc. but if there is a conversion kit available, it's a simple problem to fix.

Thanks Marcel, I've got a GT resin intake, but when I opened it up, all the sections that are molded to form the main landing gear well front wall was broken. I do have a zactomodels set for the Academy kit, which is awesome. Just need to get a kit to use it on. 

Juggernaut, I don't think that I'll be able to address all the differences to a block 30, I do have a set of landing gear doors from the thunder kit (I don't even know how I have them, I've never purchased that kit!), and aftermaket wheels and stiffener plates, some scratch building for the lights, and a few other pieces. No doubt there will be areas I can't fix, like the landing gear. But I'll adjust what I can, and hope it's enough! 

Thanks for the interest. 

Good thing you have the doors, that's probably the most noticeable Block 30 difference. The landing gear lights have since been positioned Block 50 style on the front gear door so that should be fine. The other main differences then are the skinnier mlg and the wheels. I don't think the skinny vs beefy gear is all that apparent, which leaves you with the wheels. If GT do release these it would be nice, should be very easy to cast.

A more expensive option is to purchase the AFV Club F-16B kit (which is the Academy two seater kit with about everything to turn it into a Block 40/42, Block 50/52, I), it has the Block 30 wheels (and also the flat doors). You can then use the rest of the AFV kit to do any of the later block F-16's.

Cheers,

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

It's time for a quick update, I've been working pretty hard on this kit lately, expecially considering the amount of hours I've been doing at work.

I've also decided what marking I'll use, I'm going for the flanker splinter jet.

48993426466_6568eff110_b.jpg

48992882918_540210fae4_b.jpg

The other good thing is that the MRP paints provide all the required paints for the aggressors, without having to mix anything, and I haven't heard a bad thing about these paints.

But the work I have been doing has been on the Aires exhaust. For the metalizers, I've used the Model Masters lacquers, and I'm very happy with the results. I hadn't used them for a very long time, so I used the kit exhaust pettels for a colour template, as showed.

48992881203_66daf93809_b.jpg

This gave me a better idea on how the colours actually look, and with the sealer sprayed on them, how they react when covered tamiya masking tape. I was very glad to see everything stayed down, and with the use of tamiya paints, washes and pastels, this is the results I was able to achieve.

48992873613_7f35006d33_b.jpg

48992871603_20affc3d41_b.jpg

48993410241_a17f7604a9_b.jpg

It'll be a few weeks before my next update as I'm off to Fiji for a family holiday, but when I get back all rested and relaxed, my plan is to get the vertical stabliser done, and then into the intake and main landing gear and shell well.

Thanks for looking. Bulla!