HK Models Avro Lancaster Mk.I WIP: Canopy Attached 3/31/2021

Dennis7423

• 3 months later...

All-

I haven't left this project, I promise! Life has just gotten in the way. We adopted a dog, who has had some medical issues, and work has been absolutely crazy. I did, however, want to do a really small update today to show where things are headed.

I have been in contact with our own wunwinglow at Flying Start Models in order to get a little bit of a different ordinance setup for my Lancaster. Because I am depicting her in an earlier war configuration, I wanted a loadout that was more consistent with that as well. I found an outstanding reference photo, and Flying Start provided the bombs. They are 3D printed, beautifully cast, and will definitely do the part! Here's what it's going to look like:

217105478_1487209761611575_2624826847138815571_n

If you're looking for British bombs for your builds, I can't recommend Flying Start any higher than I already do. A beautiful product!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Hi Dennis

If you want to be historically correct, the Lancaster only had three attachment points across the bomb-bay, to incorporate four bombs you need a modified carrier which meant that the two centre bombs hung down lower.

Are you still building 'Phantom of the Ruhr' EE139 ????

Ian

1 hour ago, Bomber Command nut said:

Hi Dennis

If you want to be historically correct, the Lancaster only had three attachment points across the bomb-bay, to incorporate four bombs you need a modified carrier which meant that the two centre bombs hung down lower.

Are you still building 'Phantom of the Ruhr' EE139 ????

Ian

Oh that's the plan! I've got several of the Eduard bomb bay sets to incorporate the correct bomb mountings.

And yes, I'll still be building Phantom.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Wow Dennis!

Not sure how I missed this thread? I just read through the whole thing last night. Fantastic work to say the least!

When I was at the Nationals in Phoenix in 2018 I had cash in hand to buy this kit but the fellow manning the HK stand said he couldn’t get any before the show as they hadn’t quite been released yet. Then the WnWs kit was announced and I knew I’d go with that one instead. Unfortunately that was not to be. I’ll have to live vicariously through your build and love every minute of it.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

• 4 weeks later...

All-

Need a bit of help. I am looking for appropriate masks for the fuselage sides to depict the correct codes for Phantom in her earlier career. Kitsworld Decals, who's supplying the nose art and other accoutrements for the markings, only provides fuselage codes for Phantom once she was assigned to No. 550 Squadron in late 1943 (BQ-B). However, because I am depicting her in her early years with No. 100 Squadron, I am in need of the correct fuselage codes (HW-R). Anyone know where I could source those? Decal or mask would be acceptable.

Thanks!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

hey Dennis

go with masks for everything but the phantom decal please! it is only fair to do your build justice!

for masks, you may have some off the shelf options by Maketar and you can buy direct or from Hannants - if you do, make sure you choose vinyl rather than kabuki as i think they will be much easier to manipulate especially for roundels

if not, you can try TopNotch - they do lots of RAF stuff and if they don't have your codes already, they will do custom made; advisable to provide them with dimensions just to make sure you are both on same page

or... possibly the best long term solution: get yourself a silhouette cutter!

build looks great - very interested to see how you cleaned up the seam line / filler just behind the front turret - that didn't look fun at all!

hope to see more soon

Nick

Thanks for the tips fellas! I shot an e-mail off to TopNotch to see if they're willing to do some custom masks for me. And you're all absolutely right, masks are the way to go. Fortunately, I already have a set of masks for the roundels and whatnot. Just need the codes and serial number.

In other news, I started the seam work on the wings today, in preparation for paint. I'd like to get the wings ready to go, and pick at the fuselage as time allows and energy flows. Before I know it, I'll have a Lancaster!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA