HK Models Avro Lancaster Mk.I WIP: Canopy Attached 3/31/2021

Dennis7423

Thanks Dennis! Your seat turned out great.  I’m working on the seat now, and will be posting my build when I’ve made a bit more progress, but I can appreciate the work you put into yours. For the engineers panel, I am seeing conflicting information about whether the yellow gauges are above the blue or visa versa:

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/v3C6C20EF/www/products/model_kitsets/32044/archive_photos/Avro Lancaster B.Mk.1~III Flight Engineer's panel (AP2062c-03).jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lancaster_flight_engineer_WWII_IWM_CH_12289.jpg

A big part of it might be  interpreting black and white photos, and perhaps the panels themselves varied. What’s your take on this?

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

13 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

For the engineers panel, I am seeing conflicting information about whether the yellow gauges are above the blue or visa versa. What’s your take on this?

I imagine the engineer's panel was pretty consistent across birds, as that would be a manufactured part, and color coded to help with recognition and part of the training regimen for the bird. From the black and white photo you posted, it appears that the yellow is on top, and the blue is on the bottom, which is depicted incorrectly on the Eduard set. I won't fix mine, unless I get a real wild hare.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

• Dennis7423 changed the title to HK Models Avro Lancaster Mk.I WIP: Windows and Wires 12/16/2020

All-

Small update today!

I was able to get a day away from working on the deck and spent most of the entirety of a day off yesterday plugging away on the Lancaster at the bench.

As I move closer to closing up the fuselage, I had to endure the painstaking process of adding all of those fuselage side windows. Because Phantom is an early Lancaster, and I plan to depict her during her early career, she had the fuselage windows proper and not painted over. And there's lots of them! Fortunately, HK's windows fit beautifully, and they even have a small ledge/edge to them on the interior to aid with painting them. Thanks, HK!

As I have been thinking about the kit over the past few weeks, and looking at the small size of the fuselage windows, I elected not to super-detail the remainder of the interior past the radio operator's station, aside from what is already provided in the kit. You just can't see much inside, even with the windows exposed, so I decided to save myself the trouble and threw in the towel. It's good to know your limits, right?

I did however want to detail everything forward of that, which included running lots of wires from various systems inside the forward fuselage. HK does a mix of providing parts with the connectors attached, while photographs helped in wiring other systems. For folks who want to wire the inside of their aircraft, I highly, highly recommend various gauges of lead solder/wire. It's so easy to work with, responds well to paint and super glue, and you can get it in lots of different sizes. I found a pack on eBay a while back for about $40 that has six different gauges of lead wire, all on their own separate spools. Enough to last a long, long time! Drill a little hole, super glue it in, and then run your wires, bundle, etc. I can't speak to extreme accuracy here, but I wanted to liven up the forward fuselage and make it look a little busier:

131394466_378490966587016_510152153384040872_n

131581227_133314775235165_6744184953219277447_n

131435144_928945717878552_1433061647019308077_n

I also added a few more of the resin parachutes that I molded, and added the Eduard interior photoetch set. In the top photo, I have not painted the ledge around that fuselage's windows yet. Only enough time this morning for one side before work! The bottom photo shows them painted. You'll also notice that I blocked in and added some detail to the wing root area... which, after looking through the side windows, was a complete waste of time. I will not be giving the other side the same treatment. I'd rather save my Evergreen stock!

I have completed the bomb aimer's station as well. Man, black painted areas aren't too keen on photography!

131902151_237608421082041_4919867151405683952_n

131547730_706817583537971_3375642623147530672_n

All I added here was the pad on the floor and the support rods for the control panel, and modified the kit parts for the others, which included the bomb site truss. I will likely add a few decals to the console to give it a little bit more life.

That's all for today. Here's to hoping that my next update shows the fuselage all sealed up, and work starting on some of the other parts of the kit. As always, comments and critiques are most welcome! Thanks for tuning in!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Dennis,

That’s a big update! It’s great to see her come together, and I like the wiring a lot. It really makes a difference. For the pad at the bombers position, it’s covering the parachute exit escape hatch. Was this something the bomb aimer would just place loosely?

Cheers,  Tom

39 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

For the pad at the bombers position, it’s covering the parachute exit escape hatch. Was this something the bomb aimer would just place loosely?

Tom-

Yes, you are correct. It was often just a loose pad that they took inside the plane, similar to a couch cushion. I've seen a few birds with it applied, so I decided to add one to mine. Historically accurate to Phantom? Who knows!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

• Dennis7423 changed the title to HK Models Avro Lancaster Mk.I WIP: Fuselage Sealed 12/22/2020

All-

Milestone day! I was able to get the fuselage sealed this past weekend.

132037472_857335568416456_4012640287064620126_n

Even with the mods and scratch building, most everything fit like a glove. Some parts needed a little coaxing, but that was all my fault. Had I not added a bunch to it, it likely would have sealed up just fine. However, I am very happy with the progress!

132253452_3228919710545232_7373588060588425425_n

132157433_434561011050052_8277331209082052752_n

Next up, working on the wings, while picking away at the remaining fuselage bits and bobs. Trying to sort out exactly how to fix the landing light issue, as I had already begun some wing construction prior to learning about the faux-pa HK did with the landing lights.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

44 minutes ago, brahman104 said:

I have yet to reach this milestone on my B-17, but I doubt it's going to look as good as this does all together :)

Craig-

The B-17 was a piece of cake! When I bonded mine together, I ended up thinning the "ledge" the turtle deck sits on, on the fuselage sides. That allowed the turtle deck to fit almost flawlessly. I highly recommend it!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

4 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

Craig-

The B-17 was a piece of cake! When I bonded mine together, I ended up thinning the "ledge" the turtle deck sits on, on the fuselage sides. That allowed the turtle deck to fit almost flawlessly. I highly recommend it!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Thanks mate, I appreciate the tip, however in my particular B-17's case I'm not entirely sure it's going to be that easy..... ;)

https://imgur.com/IfDQ01u

In any case, yours is looking great!

Edited by brahman104

Ohhh how nice

I have the kit in my stash, but every time I open the box I get performance anxeity... :D

The BBMF Lancaster visited our local airfield back in 2011 and I went to see it with my dad. It was painted as Phantom of the Ruhr, although it had less mission markings than your picture. The funny bit to me was that I asked the crew about the different mission markings - yellow, red and Ice cones... the answer was that the yellow was over occupied country, red over germany and Ice Cones... was Italy :D

0XLUk1T.jpg

H2FqQnD.jpg

5IMLGTB.jpg

r2viUvZ.jpg''

I have a few detail pictures - as far as I was allowed to poke my head inside and a little of the bomb bay - let me know if you need it

Glorious sound as it took off...

13 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Thanks mate, I appreciate the tip, however in my particular B-17's case I'm not entirely sure it's going to be that easy..... ;)

Oh you got this! It can be just as easy ;)

Thanks for the encouragement!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

4 hours ago, Joe of Blighty said:

Can you explain in a little more detail, the faux-pa that HK did with the landing lights?

Joe-

Here's what the landing lights look like in the kit:

132387043_735445000690991_4665662071074084452_n

Just two scribed circles on the bottom of the wing. To boot, they put them on both sides! In reality, they were only on the port (pilot) side of the aircraft, and they folded out of the wing when the landing gear were extended/retracted. It's tricky because the wing is molded as one piece, so it's not as simple as drilling them out and attaching something from the other side. The logic is it's that easy, but working in such a tight space makes it very tricky. It's easier if you don't install the plastic riser into the outermost engine nacelle, but alas, I had already installed mine when I learned of the error. So, I'm looking for another way to solve it!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA