UK Bombed areas during WW2

dennismcc

but in general, for those unable to see the "whole picture" it's amazing to see an almost "bombing carpet" all over the UK, and that's just incredible to realize how many sorties of the Luftwaffe got to that result............

10 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Site doesn't work for me.

8 hours ago, RLWP said:

Nor me. Chrome on Windows 10

Richard

8 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Firefox on Windows 10 for me.

8 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Same here,  I get this

+1 here - also Firefox on W10.  Same result with MS Edge.

Edited by MikeC

Not working for me either but I don't think people realis how much of the country was bombed.

My daughter's primary school (ages 5-7 for those outside of the UK) is in a village about 2 miles west of the Greater London boundary.

The school has the "Old School Bell" on display in the reception.

This was all that was salvaged after the school was bombed during the war and was then later re-built.

Apparently it was on a Sunday so luckily no casualties but I always wondered why.

Then I realised it is 2 miles away from the former RAF Uxbridge where the 11 Group control bunker (used in the film Battle of Britain) is.

So on an East/West track any late release would have hit the village and the school.

RAF Uxbridge has now gone but the bunker is still preserved and worth a visit if down this way.

http://battleofbritainbunker.co.uk/

Edited by PhilB

Not working for me either, a lot of the bombers if they couldn't find the target used to just dump the bombs anywhere on the way back, My late father in law told me he remembered a Messerschmitt 110 flying low firing at people walking down a street in Essex on their way back home.

Graham

Most of these style of maps are based off WWII bomb plot maps produced at the time to keep track of bombings. A lot of these are usually available in local archives/national archives. I would be wary of using them for exact hits though as they are notoriously inaccurate. There are many misplaced or missing hits. I had to use these extensively for my masters thesis, and it proved a pain to find proper information in the exact information. It is also a problem as an urban archaeologist, we frequently come across unexploded ordinance. 
They are useful for seeing the general areas that were hit though and as a good starting point for research.

There's a brilliant documentary 'Blitz: The bombs that changed Britain' where they analyze a particular raid in great detail and each individual bomb is marked accurately and who was killed in its wake and what that did to families even today.The data was collected during the war to give the war dept some idea of the effectiveness of bombing raids.

One particular harrowing one was the bombing of  Clydebank where a whole family were wiped out from just one bomb falling into the stairway of their flat.

Graham 

2 hours ago, curiouslysophie said:

It is also a problem as an urban archaeologist, we frequently come across unexploded ordinance. 

Presumably, the maps could only give locations of known bombs, so it's inevitable yours are not recorded. Otherwise, they wouldn't be there

Richard