Wild Hare 1/32 RAF Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

Anthony, can’t wait to see this build! Who knows when the HK kit will come out so I think you did the right thing.

The oversized intake seems very easy to fix. Regarding the belly strap, I purchased a resin part for my F-4S but if I did it again I’d just cut the requisite parts from thin styrene sheet (should be some drawings out there), that’s just far easier to work with. The wing angle correction is super easy to do, just cut the requisite angle into a piece of cardboard and use that as a fixture.

Cheers,

Marcel

On 10/15/2019 at 8:37 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

Chek, a quick question.

Do you know if the WH conversion has the downward slope of the intake top line?

In all the photos I've seen, it doesn't appear to me that they do. However, there is a build over on Large Scale Modeller where the  builder has made a very creditable job of depicting that higher 'shoulder'. I'm not on my regular PC or I'd post the link, but it should be discoverable.

Edited to add: there are several threads on the HKM British Phantoms in this forum, a couple of which grew to contain epic amounts of info and detail  photos.

Well worth searching out.

Edited by Chek

Here is a pic from my review:

15.jpg

There is some slope from top down to intake, whether it is enough I didn't take a pic from the right angle.

At least with the intake as separate parts it is a little easier to deal with. I wonder also if you could use a 'regular' J intake and fair it in? 

12 hours ago, Marcel111 said:

Anthony, can’t wait to see this build! Who knows when the HK kit will come out so I think you did the right thing.

The oversized intake seems very easy to fix. Regarding the belly strap, I purchased a resin part for my F-4S but if I did it again I’d just cut the requisite parts from thin styrene sheet (should be some drawings out there), that’s just far easier to work with. The wing angle correction is super easy to do, just cut the requisite angle into a piece of cardboard and use that as a fixture.

Cheers,

Marcel

Thanks Marcel

Yes I think I can fix those intakes fairly easily.  The wing angle was something I was made aware of recently reading an article on the 48th Hasegawa ones.  Same with the horizontal stabs at the back, having a flatter anhedral due to the Spey...but I am sure the kit has them corrected?  I think I will make the strengthening plate on the bottom of the wing as you say, just track a decent drawing down.  Probably those books I have been recommend will have a drawing.

I think whilst I wait for this Kahu Skyhawk upgrade to come through to production I might look at starting 'another' kit LOL.

Thanks again

Anthony

6 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Here is a pic from my review:

15.jpg

There is some slope from top down to intake, whether it is enough I didn't take a pic from the right angle.

At least with the intake as separate parts it is a little easier to deal with. I wonder also if you could use a 'regular' J intake and fair it in? 

Hmmm yes they do dont they?  Thanks Ray, here's hoping when the kit gets here I can check some of these subtleties 

7 hours ago, Chek said:

In all the photos I've seen, it doesn't appear to me that they do. However, there is a build over on Large Scale Modeller where the  builder has made a very creditable job of depicting that higher 'shoulder'. I'm not on my regular PC or I'd post the link, but it should be discoverable.

Edited to add: there are several threads on the HKM British Phantoms in this forum, a couple of which grew to contain epic amounts of info and detail  photos.

Well worth searching out.

Thanks Chek, I think I have tracked down most Spey Phantom builds and conversions to start forming a better picture in my head

• 6 months later...

Hiya mate,

I have a full set of photos I took for a certain manufacturers proposed kit - lots of shape and detail stuff - if interested I'll add you to the relevant folder.

I still want to do an F-4K and *may* end up converting the Tamiya kit if there's no further news in the next 12 months, or so...

Any idea which scheme you'll do?

Iain

I still get a tingle when I see one of those conversions , I had one on order , and it was ready to ship the night CE bit the big one

According to Alan  of Bucc fame , there may be a Resin FAR F-4K hitting the shelves later this summer, with a 1/32 Specat Jaguar following closly behind it ,since I've got my name down for one each of them , I'll let you know how things turn out !

42 minutes ago, Iain said:

Hiya mate,

I have a full set of photos I took for a certain manufacturers proposed kit - lots of shape and detail stuff - if interested I'll add you to the relevant folder.

I still want to do an F-4K and *may* end up converting the Tamiya kit if there's no further news in the next 12 months, or so...

Any idea which scheme you'll do?

Iain

Iain, that sounds good mate!  I really want to get this right. Still not sure which scheme, thinking overall boring Grey with a Blue, Black or white fin (depending on sqn) Also there are panel line and detail differences between the FG-1 and FGR-2

Trying to figure out if the splitter (variable ramp) plates were different...

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Man these things are a minefield!  I think I just have to pick an airframe and base it on that one.  Depending on if it was an FG-1 moved to the RAF or a straight FGR-2 .  Also when in its service life you are modelling it? Bits even swapped between versions towards the end. There is so much to take into consideration.....

Looks like the ramps might be the same on initial inspection...edit: no slightly different.  I've got to go to bed....

Edited by Anthony in NZ

It is a minefield - but then a lot of other airframes are too - lots of modifications during the life of an airframe - especially cockpit fit.

Still - it kept me gainfully employed for a few years, when I wrote the Simulator AP updates for a number of MoD aircraft, including the Phantom.

We'd just finished completely refurbing the simulators - and still had the fourth in the workshops - when MoD pulled the plug on the Phantom fleet - a little earlier than expected at the time.

Hopefully you've got an email about photos  :)

Iain

Hi Anthony,

Checking some image I kindly received from from warriormcv some years ago (I do not have immediate access to the measurements Iain and I took), the maximum intake width (at approximately mid-point) is 45 cm (17") and the maximum intake height at the inboard (fuselage) side, as maesured along the intake splitter plate is  115 cm (approx. 45.25").

HTH

Derek