Wild Hare 1/32 RAF Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

11 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

The two Airdoc/Double Ugly books are the best out there, for wheels I think Armoury are probably the best.

I don't know if you want to hear this, but I think Frank got the intake size wrong, they're bigger than the standard Phantom, but not as big as he did, there was a very old thread on this. 

Thanks Andy, I thought I read that somewhere!  I will see if I can find that old thread. And locate those books

I will have to put a list of things to buy now...thanks gents, this is just what I was looking for!

8 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

Regards the intake, and this will be the last, just compare with this

Aaah yes, I see what you mean.  Should (he says apprehensively) be easy enough to fix by removing a section down the centre of the intake with a razor saw.  Didn't Derek B measure the intake opening on these once?

16 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

These ones?

There are other versions of late wheels, but digging deep into my memory bank they were the same as on the C/D?

No, both the Spey Phantoms were derived from the F-4J and have the wider Navy style wheels.

FGR2 XM497

xv497%20(106).jpg

F-4J 155529 

f-4j_0051.jpg

Thanks Chek, the similarity is obvious!  See I told you all I know little of the Phantom....but learning fast.

You guys are awesome being so helpful

Edit: the Armory ones specify J/K etc, and look really nice...I will go for those ones, thanks Andy

Edited by Anthony in NZ

7 hours ago, Chek said:

No, both the Spey Phantoms were derived from the F-4J and have the wider Navy style wheels.

The C/D tires will work as they are the same size as the J/S.  The wheel hubs are different between the Navy/Air Force versions, though.  The Navy B/N has the narrow tires.

10 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

I think Derek did. See post #46, not much bigger. The wheels were the same as the navy ones. 

Thats why i posted those pictures, the intake faces are not larger on British Phantoms, but larger further back due to the Spey engine being bigger. 

Darren