Wild Hare 1/32 RAF Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

Now....Firstly I know HK is doing this as a full kit, and I have probably wasted my money etc etc.

Second, I dont want this to turn into a burn session either...Good constructive and informative info is what I am after as I am no Phantom expert, but have always LOVED the FGR2 with the fintop RWR, grey scheme and beefier 'look' as opposed to the American ones. I am relying on expertise from you guys to help me out.

I originally had one of these ordered many many moons ago and was like many of you here and never got it.  But thanks to Mike (Serian01) here on the forum he sold me his and has realized my dream of building this kit and conversion...thanks buddy, I owe you one!

I have done a reasonable amount of research on the conversion (Great review on here on LSP) and there is a lovely conversion being done over on LSM with Cees.  Couple of areas I want to check on when it arrives, but the kit wont be here for a little while yet when my friend brings it over in the Global 6000 he flies (LOL only the best courier for this kit!)

What are good resources/books out there worth buying (I sold all I had when the conversion never turned up)?

Can I use an Aires F4J cockpit upgrade set...as in....Is much of it comparable to the FGR2?

Does anyone make the big strengthening 'Doubler' plate that is on the lower centre section? (can always make that out of plastic card if needed)

What about wheels, are there any aftermarket ones better than the Tamiya kit ones?

Seems like the Spey exhaust may need extra detailing?

From what I can gather, Frank Mitchell and Klaus/Meteor did a really good job of revising Franks original model to correct a few more issues.

As I said I know little of aviation modelling outside of my interest in NZ Aviation, so any help would be much appreciated.  I want to gather all I can so I do this conversion justice when I eventually start on it.

Cheers Anthony

Yeah, I heard that they were 'ok' and Frank re-did his also. 

Nice review by the way Ray!

Dosent the chap (who's name escapes me right now) from GT Resin post here regularly?  Looks like he does the big reinforcing plate under the wings 

15 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Dosent the chap (who's name escapes me right now) from GT Resin post here regularly?  Looks like he does the big reinforcing plate under the wings 

Yes, that would be Gary, LSP moniker: ghatherly.

48 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks!

There is someone else who does the reinforcing plate. Unfortunately, I can't remember who, and I am 1400 miles from where it is located so can't look for it. If I think of it, I will post it. Not sure they are still around, though.

The two Airdoc/Double Ugly books are the best out there, for wheels I think Armoury are probably the best.

I don't know if you want to hear this, but I think Frank got the intake size wrong, they're bigger than the standard Phantom, but not as big as he did, there was a very old thread on this. 

If you compare the photos of the completed build here - especially the first one, there's no way you'd be able to see that much of the engine fan on the real thing - you can see they're too big. Sorry if this seems like I'm doing a hatchet job and taking the wind out of your sails Anthony.