Revell FW 190A/F Cowling

D.B. Andrus

My own 190F-8 was stalled when I went to assemble the multi-piece cowling, and much of that was my own fault, being in too much of a hurry. Otherwise I suspect it would have gone as smooth as the rest of the kit did for me. Assuming I do eventually grab another kit, a one piece cowling might just be very appealing.

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

'd be interested in a single piece cowling.  I had Paul Fisher mold some of the teardrop fairing parts from the Hasegawa kit (which have a more accurate shape and detail).  They're pretty much a drop fit into the Revell cowling.

I've made a supply of those fairings. They correct the shape and the lower panel line location for the Revell kit.

Keep an eye on the Vendor's Board in the not too distant future.

1 hour ago, Mikester said:

I'd love to see that with an integrated engine plug like the Hasegawa kits.  Really don't have any interest in fiddling around assembling an engine that will never be seen with panels closed anyway.

My question may look weird but why not getting the Hasegawa kit? 

Old Hasegawa vs new Revell kit.  To my eye the surface detail on the new Revell kit looks better.  I found the wheel bays and cockpit to be disappointing in the Hasegawa kit.  I agree with simplifying the engine cowling.  If the cowling has to be fixed open I am not that interested so would close it up.  

I personally would go for the Revell kit over Hasegawa at this point.  I may buy one, have been thinking about it but have too many other projects going to make it a priority.

Has anyone tried simplifying the Revell build?  I was considering trying to build up the whole cowling assembly and then cutting a round piece of styrene to mount the engine to and insert it.  In essence this would be very similar to the Hasegawa design of an engine plug.

You'll run into a fit problem if you try to place the cowling over the engine, you need

to sand down the engine "rocker covers?" or thin the inside of the cowling to get a

good fit. I think Revell's original idea was to display the engine open. As chrish said,

once the cooling fan is installed there's almost nothing to see inside. So I think the 

Hasegawa solution makes more sense and saves you some headache.

Lothar

4 hours ago, Lothar said:

You'll run into a fit problem if you try to place the cowling over the engine, you need

to sand down the engine "rocker covers?" or thin the inside of the cowling to get a

good fit. I think Revell's original idea was to display the engine open. As chrish said,

once the cooling fan is installed there's almost nothing to see inside. So I think the 

Hasegawa solution makes more sense and saves you some headache.

Lothar

I've got five Revell F-8s and two A-8/R2s in the stash so I need to come up with a solution.  May just make a resin copy of the Hasegawa engine plug and see how well that works.  I'll post it if I come up with something that works.