Tamiya 1/32 P-51D Mustang

curiouslysophie

13 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Well done! I often go for detail like that, only to be nearly the only one who ever notices it (save a judge or two in a contest, but mainly they seem to concentrate on more of the basics).  We notice though! 

I like adding the detail even if it’ll never be seen again as I know it’s there, and the fun is in the building. I’m glad it is appreciated by someone though :) 

Ok, thanks! The painted tape looks really good. It occurred to me after I posted my question that Bare Metal Foil would do the job nicely as well. There are always leftover scraps that can be trimmed into tiny narrow bands. 

6 hours ago, curiouslysophie said:

Glad to help :) I was thinking of trying bare metal foil on my thunderbolt. How did you find using it?

I find it a bit difficult to use for an overall NMF. I've tended to gravitate to kitchen foil with MS foil glue as the old standby; easy to grain with XXX or XX steel wool, and the thick stuff unlike BMF, wont tear around complex/compound curves. The stronger kitchen foil will actually stretch a bit, and if you have a wrinkle here or there you can sand it out (also unlike BMF)

17 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I find it a bit difficult to use for an overall NMF. I've tended to gravitate to kitchen foil with MS foil glue as the old standby; easy to grain with XXX or XX steel wool, and the thick stuff unlike BMF, wont tear around complex/compound curves. The stronger kitchen foil will actually stretch a bit, and if you have a wrinkle here or there you can sand it out (also unlike BMF)

Thanks for the tip! I’ll give it a go with the foil on my practice kit. I did read an article with the technique you mentioned and the result looked great. For the mustang though I think I’m going to go for mrp metallics.

Sophie, I haven't used BMF as a over all finish. I use it to mask canopies. Like anything, it has a learning curve but a modeler like yourself will be up to speed after a little playing around. Sometimes, if left on a canopy for a long time, adhesive residue will remain on the canopy after the foil is removed which stubbornly refuses to release from the clear plastic. Tamiya pointy Q tips soaked in Isopropyl alcohol will help remove it. Also, the Tamiya cotton buds are good for burnishing down the foil too.

Greg

48950475038_7fabc99e00_b.jpg

Edited by GDW

Wheel well looks plenty busy.

'Tamiya pointy Q tips soaked in Isopropyl alcohol will help remove it.'

Isopropyl alcohol will also remove future.  Tape will also remove the residue.  Just sayin'.

'paint tamiya masking tape silver'

In case you're interested:

s-l1600.jpg

Silver decals.

Sincerely,

Mark

The work you've done on the cockpit is just awesome, loving the paint chipping!

But for me, it's the work you've done on the wheel wells, very neat and sharp work, the wiring looks top notch. What did you use to bundle the white wiring together, the black bands?

5 hours ago, GDW said:

Sophie, I haven't used BMF as a over all finish. I use it to mask canopies. Like anything, it has a learning curve but a modeler like yourself will be up to speed after a little playing around. Sometimes, if left on a canopy for a long time, adhesive residue will remain on the canopy after the foil is removed which stubbornly refuses to release from the clear plastic. Tamiya pointy Q tips soaked in Isopropyl alcohol will help remove it. Also, the Tamiya cotton buds are good for burnishing down the foil too.

Greg

48950475038_7fabc99e00_b.jpg

Interesting idea. I normally just get a set of vinyl masks for canopies. Those cotton buds look useful though, thanks :) 

3 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Wheel well looks plenty busy.

'Tamiya pointy Q tips soaked in Isopropyl alcohol will help remove it.'

Isopropyl alcohol will also remove future.  Tape will also remove the residue.  Just sayin'.

'paint tamiya masking tape silver'

In case you're interested:

s-l1600.jpg

Silver decals.

Sincerely,

Mark

Those silver decals would definitely be useful! 

2 hours ago, Squizzy said:

The work you've done on the cockpit is just awesome, loving the paint chipping!

But for me, it's the work you've done on the wheel wells, very neat and sharp work, the wiring looks top notch. What did you use to bundle the white wiring together, the black bands?

Thank you very much :) The black bands are tubing for fly fishing. I’ll take a picture of the package when I get home. The white wire is also for fly fishing.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long delay! I finally got some paint on the Mustang after a few false starts. I’ve never done a NMF finish before. It didn’t come out as metallic as I would have liked, but it’s not a bad try :) 

I gloss blacked it with Mr Color gloss black and used MRP super silver on the wings and MRP white aluminium on the fuselage.

hopefully I can do a better job on the Thunderbolt I have on the go.

UFi7Dy0.jpg

y6Jaf0N.jpg