Tamiya 1/32 P-51D Mustang

curiouslysophie

Good stuff.

1jgmDB8.jpg

For the large oil line to the left in the picture:  Find a metal tube or rod to match the diameter of the solder.  Lubricate the metal rod with saliva.  Slip on cut to match heat shrink tubing and expose to a match.  The tube will shrink to the diameter of of the rod/tube.  The saliva will allow you to then slide the tube off of the rod.  Slide heat shrink tube onto the solder.  Then add bands.  Connection in non-exposed area..  This way there won't be a gap in the neoprene connector and there won't be an exposed seam in the bands.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1mm+heat+shrink+tubing&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat-shrink_tubing

Sincerely,

Mark

One more post for today! I have managed to finish the cockpit and it’s side walls. The barracuda parts are fantastically detailed but a few of mine had some minor shrinkage. The cockpit placards and stencil decals are lovely and a great bit of detail. I thought they were writing but have a similar block letter style like the Eduard pre-painted parts.

It may not be 100% accurate (mustang fans, please forgive me!) but I’m loving the detail!

First the cockpit. The hgw belts are great as always. The barracuda seat is nice but not much more detailed than the kit part, though the backpad is much nicer. As is the mustang standard I did the work black showing wood underneath. The wood texture is the decals that came with the seatbelts. The barracuda battery and radio are definitely worth the money though! The gun sight has been left off till I put the armoured glass in later so I don’t break it off.

siBWzmj.jpg

p8SEq6q.jpg

Ar4m87G.jpg

The sidewalls are a wealth of wonderful detail, even oob, but with the barracuda resin and decals they get taken to a new level. I still need to semi matt coat them and add a little bit of weathering.

1csp7bz.jpg

cDQbCS9.jpg

The photos tend to show up little flaws that are either not visible to the naked eye, or will never be seen once finished. Hopefully tomorrow I can seal up the fuselage and get going on the wings and wheel bay. So much detail to add!

2 minutes ago, dodgem37 said:

Good stuff.

1jgmDB8.jpg

For the large oil line to the left in the picture:  Find a metal tube or rod to match the diameter of the solder.  Lubricate the metal rod with saliva.  Slip on cut to match heat shrink tubing and expose to a match.  The tube will shrink to the diameter of of the rod/tube.  The saliva will allow you to then slide the tube off of the rod.  Slide heat shrink tube onto the solder.  Then add bands.  Connection in non-exposed area..  This way there won't be a gap in the neoprene connector and there won't be an exposed seam in the bands.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1mm+heat+shrink+tubing&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat-shrink_tubing

Sincerely,

Mark

lovely tip, thank you! I’ll give that a go on the next one :) 

wow, great cockpit job,  nice floor effect, you are on a very interesting path with this Mustang, if you  want to be a  bit more accurate in that cockpit,  the radio battery rack which Tamiya calls for green was painted black  at the factory,  "everything after the seat was painted black in order to avoid sun reflection into the cockpit" here are some footage from NAA and some originally unrestored examples, keep the good modelling!!! cheers 

Screenshot-575.png

IMG-1189.jpg

65242216-179080939759825-134248155266311

DSCN0097.jpg

Great start. I like the Yahu panels because you can actually read the instruments, yes they are too shiny but that is easily remedied as you have shown.

Now that you’ve got Antonio onboard you can expect some interesting ‘photos, I think.

John

Edited by Biggles87

21 hours ago, curiouslysophie said:

Ive never done a NMF before, so this should be a learning experience. Has anybody done one using MRP paints before? If so, any tips

Hi Sophie, I used MRP on my Mustang  https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/74817-revelamiyastang/page/3/#

No tips regarding the paint itself as it sprays like any other MRP paint ... beautifully.

Feel free tho to ask any particular questions about my finish.

7 hours ago, Antonio Argudo said:

wow, great cockpit job,  nice floor effect, you are on a very interesting path with this Mustang, if you  want to be a  bit more accurate in that cockpit,  the radio battery rack which Tamiya calls for green was painted black  at the factory,  "everything after the seat was painted black in order to avoid sun reflection into the cockpit" here are some footage from NAA and some originally unrestored examples, keep the good modelling!!! cheers 

Screenshot-575.png

IMG-1189.jpg

65242216-179080939759825-134248155266311

DSCN0097.jpg

Thank you Antonio! Those pictures are great. I think I’ll keep it green for now as it’s all glued together now, but I’ll know for future builds.

5 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Great work on this! I am itching to start on the Tamiya Mustang as my next build; this is inspiring!

Cheers,  Tom

It’s a beautiful kit to build, just goes together so well. I look forward to seeing yours :) 

7 hours ago, Kahunaminor said:

You are a machine Sophie!

Great work in cracking time, well worth the visit!

Regards,

Kent

Thank you Kent :) I don’t like to hang around, haha. I’ve already gotten started on the gun bay and wheel well. I want to get them mostly done today.

3 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hi Sophie, I used MRP on my Mustang  https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/74817-revelamiyastang/page/3/#

No tips regarding the paint itself as it sprays like any other MRP paint ... beautifully.

Feel free tho to ask any particular questions about my finish.

Thank you for the link. I am using my paint mule to do some experimenting with the paints to get the right finish. MRP sprays so well, and I got an H&S Infinity which helps even more. I’m thinking of using the white aluminium on the main fuselage and the super silver on the wings.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I’m really enjoying this one, and it’ll be nice to have something allied to go with my mini Luftwaffe!