Tamiya 1/32 P-51D Mustang

curiouslysophie

I have recently finished my Ar 234 so now I fancied doing some Allied aircraft for a bit of a change. To start them off I thought I’d work on my first Tamiya kit, and it is a lovely kit! After the frustration of working on the Ar 234 and Fly’s lackadaisical sense of proper fit or instructions Tamiya’s kit is a dream.

As always I’m not modelling a specific machine and I’m doing a fictional paint scheme. I am adding a lot of aftermarket to this one as well, including:

Eduard’s Bid Ed set

HGW belts and wooden floor

CMK wheels (still not sure about these)

Aires M2 .50 Cals

Eduard ammo belts

HGW wet transfers for markings and stencils

Yahu control panel

Barracuda seat, cockpit upgrade set, cockpit side walls, and placard decals.

Ive never done a NMF before, so this should be a learning experience. Has anybody done one using MRP paints before? If so, any tips?

I have been using a combination of Brett Green’s How To Build book and following Chuck540z3’s “kicked up a notch” build to help, along with a ton of internet reference photos.

Without further delay here are the first pics, shots of the completed Packard Merlin;

DmDlHkL.jpg

3DaPDEK.jpg

i added the various wiring and piping needed along the sides as well as the Eduard crank arms and scratch building ignition rails and wires. Sorry for the photo quality!

Hope you enjoy the thread and I’ll post some more soon

I have been cracking on with the kit over the last couple of days and have a few more bits to show once they are nicely dry and weathered.

For now though I have the oil tank and control panel to show. The yahu panel is lovely, since the photo below I have given it a semi gloss coat and a touch of gloss in the dials.

IUpTaWu.jpg

1jgmDB8.jpg

1 hour ago, Padubon said:

Hello, it looks pretty good. The IP is very good, how did you do that?

I hope to start my 51 soon. I’m planning to build a Guatemalan Air Force one. 

The main Panel is made by a company called Yahu, but I enhanced it with some switches and the weapons panel from the Eduard interior set.

I hope you post your Mustang, I'd love to see it!

Excellent work so far. I have a ton of thr Yahu panels and they do look great. 

If you ever are so inclined, after s shot of semi or dull clear, I've used a UV curing gel for the instrument dial glass to great effect. Easy to pin point small dials, and the gel is dry in 5 seconds.

Looking forward to more!

28 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

Nice start, hope you're going to succumb to a nonfiction aircraft else I fear a wild pack of Mustangofanatics will be heading your way! 

I think they might be baying for my blood! All my aircraft are fictional I’m afraid. I like them to be unique.

4 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Excellent work so far. I have a ton of thr Yahu panels and they do look great. 

If you ever are so inclined, after s shot of semi or dull clear, I've used a UV curing gel for the instrument dial glass to great effect. Easy to pin point small dials, and the gel is dry in 5 seconds.

Looking forward to more!

Thank you! They are great panels. I used a drop of super clear III in them and they came out nicely. I’ll have to try the uv feel next time though.

2 hours ago, curiouslysophie said:

The main Panel is made by a company called Yahu, but I enhanced it with some switches and the weapons panel from the Eduard interior set.

I hope you post your Mustang, I'd love to see it!

I have the Yahu panel but it looks toyish, I don’t know what you did but it looks good.

14 minutes ago, Padubon said:

I have the Yahu panel but it looks toyish, I don’t know what you did but it looks good.

Ive felt the same about some of the Eduard panels, and as Sophie mentioned, shooting a coat of semi-gloss or even flat seemed to really help. Then afterword an application of Future or UV gel for the instrument glass. I felt it improved the look of both AM panels substantially. 

2 hours ago, Padubon said:

They do need a little work to improve as Out2gtcha said. I used some mrp semi-gloss on it and a couple of extra placards from the barracuda set. On the next one I might try adding some airscale bezels for a bit more depth.

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

Very nice build Sophie, the engine looks excellent.

Regards.Andy 

Thank you very much :)