F-101 Voodoo

Fred Jack

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 11:09 PM, Scotsman said:

I love the Voodoo, and indeed all of the Century series, I went so far as to build all of them in 48th  years and years ago, long before the Hasagawa 104 became available, so yes , a Long time ago, but one thing that always amazed me is how big these beast are , 

The 101 is approx the same length as the DC-3! - just ponder that before you start a campaign for it ,and the other of the Century series in 32nd...

CR

One company has released a 1/32 DC3, and another is releasing a C-47, but we now have much larger B-17s Lancaster’s, and Liberators, so why not a 101?

On 10/8/2019 at 6:53 AM, Out2gtcha said:

The F-101 is more than 10'/3.04m longer than the Phantom and even has a longer wingspan.     I'm definitely not saying a 1/32nd F-101 isn't possible, but it feels like its a bit big for 32nd in relation to how popular/well known it is.   A 1/32nd B-17 is much MUCH bigger, but I feel sells well because of its popularity with aviation enthusiast and modelers. I'm just not 100% convinced the 101 would be a huge seller in 32nd, but I could also be wrong on that. Its happened many, many times before. 

You are absolutely correct, but I still remember it as being the most common jet in the sky, but guys like me are a dying breed, and if it hadn’t been for modern eye surgery, there probably be none of us left building any models. Just like I see less and less of us marching in Veterans’ Day Parades.

Also look how obscure the HP O-100 and the HP O-400 are and how big, but they are in development. I remember complaining about a 240 Howitzer never being released in large scale and everyone saying it was too large yet TWO companies released a much larger WW2 German Rail Gun. Funny how no one puts any stops at producing anything NAZI, but when it comes to equipment US soldiers used and died on in WW2, oh its too big.

On 10/8/2019 at 6:53 AM, Out2gtcha said:

The F-101 is more than 10'/3.04m longer than the Phantom and even has a longer wingspan.     I'm definitely not saying a 1/32nd F-101 isn't possible, but it feels like its a bit big for 32nd in relation to how popular/well known it is.   A 1/32nd B-17 is much MUCH bigger, but I feel sells well because of its popularity with aviation enthusiast and modelers. I'm just not 100% convinced the 101 would be a huge seller in 32nd, but I could also be wrong on that. Its happened many, many times before. 

It’s not that much bigger than a F-105 , yet the 105 was a good seller.

Edited by Fred Jack

On 12 October 2019 at 11:22 PM, John1 said:

No interest in the "Fighter" variants but I'd surely be up for a B model...

I'd be interested in most of them. Especially the RF-101C and F-101B.

The way the Kitty Hawk 1/48 Voodoo kits are engineered — I have bought four so far — with separate nose, centre section and tail would allow bigger 1/32 equivalents to be made without huge moulding machines. 

The Voodoo featured a long sleek fuselage with relatively short span wings, and a kit would sit nicely at an angle along a shelf. It's not a gangly thing with long sticking-out-at-90°-sideways wings. Not really huge at all. Just looks like a winged rocket, albeit a smoky one (as were all F-4s until the early 1980s). 

Tony