F-101 Voodoo

Fred Jack

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

Traditionally, to the best of my knowledge, only the F-100 through F-106 (excluding the XF-103) are considered part of the Century series of operational/full production jets. While the number 107 itself would be included in the Century series numbering system, I don't believe anyone really considers it to be part of the established series itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_Series

I love the way Wiki is used as supreme court of adjudication. 

I would submit that the qualification "entered full scale production" is not a contemporaneous definition of what constituted a Century Series jet. 

The 1962 DoD streamlining of nomenclature turned the USAF F-110 Spectre into the plain and simple F-4, although curiously TFX remained F-111.

In the 1970s, when the term Century Series seemed to be at its peak, it belonged to a generation of stick-and-rudder high performance jets that used partial tape instruments, red upholstery on its ejection seats and titanium alloys in its aiframe and engines and had the F one-hundred-and-something number designation.

That would have included abandoned types like the XF-108 Rapier.

The term Century Series was no doubt corrupted in the 1980s by the Red Hat squadron calling its MiGs F-113 etc over the airwaves, and the FSD Lockheed stealth attack jet as the F-117, all of which clearly were either a/ foreign or b/ new designs; ergo, not Century Series. 

So, today, Century Series means just a Hun, One-oh-Wonder, Deuce, Zipper, Thud or Dart. And we're still missing half of them in 1/32 IM styrene.

Tony, clearly with time to burn 

I just go by what the overwhelming majority of my Century series reference books include, which as you point out, are the same six jets, which is more than good enough for me. The F-111, etc., are not traditionally associated to the Century series of aircraft, for whatever reason(s).

On 10/9/2019 at 9:24 PM, Out2gtcha said:

I agree with that, and in that regard (being a century series fighter) the 101 does appeal to me.   I'm still holding out hope for an F-107 for the Century Series though. 

Brian, how about trying to "kitbash" a F100, and go from there??

20 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Traditionally, to the best of my knowledge, only the F-100 through F-106 (excluding the XF-103) are considered part of the Century series of operational/full production jets. While the number 107 itself would be included in the Century series numbering system, I don't believe anyone really considers it to be part of the established series itself.

All of the 100s jets were Century Series. I don’t think the F-110 stayed Century Series when it was changed to F-4.

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

Just posted as a point to consider.

The adjudication lies with each of us.

:rolleyes:

No offence meant Mike — I cite Wiki myself on occasion! 

I still think Kitty Hawk could successfully scale up its Voodoos. They could keep the AM decal industry in business for a couple of years, as could a big Deuce and Six.

Tony 

22 hours ago, Tony T said:

I've seen that model a couple of times, and it was one of the inspirations for me wanting one! WAY too much work for me in that regard however. I can scratch up different smaller parts here and there, and I can tackle more complex projects, but super scratch building like that is a bit more involved than I like to get when it comes to pulling something out of thin air.