F-101 Voodoo

Fred Jack

On 10/7/2019 at 3:20 PM, Fred Jack said:

There are plenty of planes in production that are much bigger than the 101. Each person has different tastes.

Have you folks ever had the privilege of seeing a wing of Voodoos in flight like I have?

Edited by Fred Jack

3 hours ago, Fred Jack said:

Have you folks ever had the privilege of seeing a wing of Voodoos in flight like I have?

No, just one or two RF-101Cs flying at a time, and I'm probably in a minority in having seen as many as that. That's the problem.

It all happened 55 years ago and no one makes documentaries about Voodoos.

Stukas, Spitfires, Mustangs, yes. Even the mighty Phantom has been supplanted by the Tomcat in people's hearts and memories. 

If you're burning to build Voodoos go 1/48. At least you'll get to have one, and it won't stop a 1/32 from happening. 

Tony 

7 minutes ago, quang said:

Tell us! :)

I had a kick building the Kitty Hawk 1/48 RF-101C. A larger scale would only double the pleasure.

You posted while I was composing and have expressed the sentiment far better!

Tony 

While I haven't seen one fly, both my parents, who were in the Air Force and stationed in Myrtle Beach during Vietnam, speak often about seeing Voodoo's fly around all the time. Additionally, my mother was a Sergeant in the purchasing department, and was responsible for purchase orders to McDonnell Douglas for F-101's in the 1970's. She spoke very highly of them, and as a result, I have always liked them! If someone released on in 1/32, I would buy it without a second thought. So there, at least one of them will be sold :-p

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

They were very impressive performers at airshows, I remember them well. Loud, fast and shaped like what a kid imagines a jet fighter to look like. Enormous on the ground too.

I'm not much into jet aircraft, but a Voodoo would interest me. I will admit that the sales numbers for a 1/32 kit might not be great. Still though, a Canadian Voodoo on the shelf would be tempting. It would have to be a big shelf though. :)

I like the looks of the early natural metal RCAF markings for some reason. And now that I'm getting the hang of Alclad...

82tNarSh.jpg

A grey one would be easier, and just as attractive. One of my favourite aviation photos, of any aircraft really. (Fair use of the photo invoked, can't find the photographer's name)

4Aalxzzh.jpg

Richard

4 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

A grey one would be easier, and just as attractive. One of my favourite aviation photos, of any aircraft really. (Fair use of the photo invoked, can't find the photographer's name)

4Aalxzzh.jpg

Richard

This photo was apparently taken by Capt. Turbo Tarling from an accompanying Voodoo during a formation takeoff. There is also another photo taken a few moments after this one, above the trees, aircraft cleaned up while still in afterburner.

58 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

While I'm not such a huge fan of the Voodoo, as such, I do have a "thing" for the entire Century series, and a big ol' Voodoo, of almost any variant, would be way more than welcome to me.

I agree with that, and in that regard (being a century series fighter) the 101 does appeal to me.   I'm still holding out hope for an F-107 for the Century Series though. 

6 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I don't think the '107 is actually considered to be a Century series bird.

The century series started with the F-100 and ended with the F-110, of course the F-110 later became the F-4 Phantom, so the F-107 is definitely a Century Series Bird.

45 minutes ago, Fred Jack said:

The century series started with the F-100 and ended with the F-110, of course the F-110 later became the F-4 Phantom, so the F-107 is definitely a Century Series Bird.

Traditionally, to the best of my knowledge, only the F-100 through F-106 (excluding the XF-103) are considered part of the Century series of operational/full production jets. While the number 107 itself would be included in the Century series numbering system, I don't believe anyone really considers it to be part of the established series itself.