Special Hobby Tempest II wing walks

Dainis

Although I am currently working on my F4U1, I was looking at my SH Tempest II and noticed there are no wing walk decals. I was hoping they would include them so I could use them as a template to cut masks. The rub is how do I cut masks that are perfectly symmetrical, given their curve along the wing roots? And any knowledge of the existence of 1/32 Tempest decals that include the wing walks? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

When I painted the wing walk areas on my Tempest, I used very thin strips of tape to outline the edges, curving to match the sweep of the wing fillet.  I measured carefully to insure uniform width across the entire length length on both sides, and then sprayed a very dark gray color.  The key is the very thin tape strips, which I cut from masking tape placed on a piece of glass and sliced off using a metal straightedge and sharp x-acto blade.  The thin tape strips (2 mm) allow one to apply a gentle curve to the outline.  It worked for me. 

vA6vOhN.jpg

Edited by Lee_K
Added photo

Thanks. That was my thinking as well. At least the wings are so well riveted so when I have satisfactorily painted one, hopefully the rivets will help guide the mask on the other side. I was just hoping for an easier way out:P. Cheers! PS Do you happen to know the width of the wingwalks that you painted?

5 hours ago, Dainis said:

Do you happen to know the width of the wingwalks that you painted?

9 mm.  Whether that is exactly the correct width in 1/32 scale I cannot say, but it compares fairly well with pictures of the aircraft during WWII, at least to my eye.

Edited by Lee_K

OMG. Thanks for the help. Jennings, thank you. My in house IT is back from school beginning of December for the holidays and will be happy to help me get that to you. Lee, equally, thanks for the info, and 9mm does look about right. So between the two you Cheers!:beer4: