Aviatik 'Berg' D.I

sandbagger

Hi all,
The tail unit is now rigged with cross bracing cables and rudder and elevator control lines.
A combination of 0.12 mm and 0.08 mm mono-filament with either 0.4 mm or 0.5 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube and 'Gaspatch' metal 1:48th scale turnbuckles (Types A and C).

Mike

tailrigged2.jpg

tailrigged1.jpg

Hi all,
I spotted that the upper surfaces of the lower wings, at the forward wing root area, had protective ‘walkways’ fitted, presumably to protect the wing surfaces from being damaged whilst the engine area was being worked on by ground crew (too far forward for pilot’s access).
As no details of this could be found, I’ve assumed this was possibly reinforced plywood fitted under the lozenge linen wing covering or a thin metal design and fitted over the lozenge linen covering of the wings.
I decided, more for aesthetics, that I'd use metal mesh from 'RB Productions', which was cut to share and secured in position using thin CA adhesive.
They were then weathered using 'Flory Models' Dark Dirt and Grime clay washes and then dusted with pigments. 

Mike

walkway3.jpg

walkway2.jpg

walkways.jpg

Hi all,
The lower wings are fitted now.
Given the wings are pinned into the fuselage at the trailing edge, but only supported at the leading edge by the front spar bracing bar 'resting' on the underside of the fuselage, it leaves the wings liable (with handling) to break free at the front and pivot down on the rear support pins.
There didn't appear to be any additional bracing bar support fitted to the actual aircraft, so with 'poetic license' I've added 'U' tube supports over the bar (at the outer ends) and secured them into the fuselage underside.
They should provide extra support for the wings and prevent 'break away' until the upper wing is finally fitted, 

Mike

lowwingon1.jpg

lowwingon2.jpg