Aviatik 'Berg' D.I

sandbagger

Hi all,
Things are progressing slowly right now until I receive some decals I need.
I've applied small serial number decals to the struts and fuselage and painted the condenser assembly on the forward, top fuselage. 
The fuselage underside has had wood decals (HGW Models) applied. Very thin and fragile!! Weathering and joint seams yet to be applied.
Tail skid painted and under surfaces pre-shaded and prepared for CDL decals.

In the meantime I'll crack on painting the figure,

Mike

underpreshade.jpg

wooddecs.jpg

tailskiddone.jpg

figure1.jpg

I have to admit I know nothing about this particular aircraft.  I love the work however,  you’re putting into this lovely build.  

Pilot looks the part.   Looking forward to the decals and painting.  It’s really an attractive looking WWI subject.   Thanks for sharing.   

Troy 

• 1 month later...

Hi all,
The Aviatik 'Berg' D.1 was an aircraft that had many and varied camouflage schemes that were applied.
They ranged from plain varnished wood to streaking, sponged colours, solid colours joined by zig-zag borders and lozenge.
The Austro-Hungarian applied lozenge was much larger than the German equivalent and was either uniform shaped hexagons or 'squashed' hexagons.
This particular aircraft was manufactured by the 'Aviatik' Company, so had their standard uniform sized hexagon lozenge.

The decals supplied in the kit are not the best and have thicker than normal backing sheets.
Also they are not 'cookie cut' and need to be accurately cut out from the backing sheets.
They are thin and care is needed when applying them as they are easily torn.

I've primed the surfaces with white as this brings out the colours more accurately. 'Tamiya' Smoke was used (thinned 50/50 with X20a) to apply slight pre-shading before the decals were applied.  
Here's the lower left wing as an example. Post weathering will be applied later in the build.

Mike

lozon1.jpg

13 hours ago, monthebiff said:

That's really nice work Mike, are those decals normal waterslide decals or HGW "Wet decal system" ?

Regards. Andy 

Hi Andy,

Water slide, but as I said not the easiest decals to work with.

Apart from their fragility, they need to be soaked for longer than expected in order to release them from the thick backing sheet.

If not they'll easily tear.

hat and they're not 'cookie cut' and will fold over on themselves if you're not careful.

Some might find it easier to cut the larger decals into sections and apply them separately, making sure of course thy're aligned correctly,

Mike