EAV-8B Harrier II Plus

Nic C.D.

At last there is some paint being used in this build - first time since the build began a few months ago. 

540.jpg

It's good to see the added, specific details for the Spanish Harrier blend well in the cockpit parts. It is a shame that many of the details will be hidden once the ejection seat will be placed in it, but, hey they're there and it was fun to build them. You can hardly see the rivets I added to the side of the cockpit wall either ... 

Here are two more views:

540.jpg

Now this is done, the exterior of the nose section can be modified where necessary and I can get started with finishing the details on the air intakes and paint them as well. And painting the almost done engine bay. Slowly, the EAV-8B is taking shape.

Hope you like the progress!

Nic

On 4/4/2020 at 10:29 AM, Nic C.D. said:

At last there is some paint being used in this build - first time since the build began a few months ago. 

540.jpg

It's good to see the added, specific details for the Spanish Harrier blend well in the cockpit parts. It is a shame that many of the details will be hidden once the ejection seat will be placed in it, but, hey they're there and it was fun to build them. You can hardly see the rivets I added to the side of the cockpit wall either ... 

Here are two more views:

540.jpg

Now this is done, the exterior of the nose section can be modified where necessary and I can get started with finishing the details on the air intakes and paint them as well. And painting the almost done engine bay. Slowly, the EAV-8B is taking shape.

Hope you like the progress!

Nic

WOW!!!  stunning!

Thank you all for the feedback! This build is a lot of fun and I can't seem to stop to add details left and right. It has been a long time since I've been so motivated. 

Here's the ejection seat painted and placed in the cockpit. Some detail was added, like the oxygen tube, radio connection point and the small green handle next to the ejection handle at the front of the seat. It still needs a little more detail, but that's for at the very end of the build. 

540.jpg

Here it is with the instrument panel added. I cut away all the plastic aft of the cockpit, so I can detail the area below it which will be visible through the openings in the edged part. The area will be another challenge, to add more detail though! 

540.jpg

With the front part of the fuselage closed, I can modify the area. Now, I'll have to paint the air intake and turbine. 

Next time!

Nic

• 3 months later...

It's been a few months, but finally there's some progress. Not a lot, but slowly, I'm getting there.

This is the forward part of the engine painted. Part of the details is on top of the engine, while another part is on the inside of the wing.

540.jpg

540.jpg

I also added a Master angle-of-attack probe to the forward part of the fuselage and made the reinforcements around the FLIR housing. By adding the seat and the canopy to the cockpit, a lot of detail will be hidden, so I'm thinking of scratching a crane next to the jet, with the seat attached to it; a bit like this:

540.jpg

I also started detailing the nose landing gear. The first thing I did was cutting it in two horizontally, so to get it at an angle, making the kit a little more dynamic. I need to add a lot of detail still, though.

540.jpg

So, the next step is to close up the fuselage, after which painting isn't too far along. And to get a bit of confidence, I did a quick build of an AMX to feel different shades of grey working...

540.jpg

So, I'm getting there. I hope to post more progress soon.

Nic

• 2 weeks later...

Another little bit of progress, albeit slow...

I've started to do the rivets on the wing, aft fuselage and vertical tail. Still a lot more to do, but hey, it's an update, right? The rivets that aren't deep enough after sanding, are done again one by one. The wing isn't glued to the fuselage yet, neither are the trailing edge flaps.  

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

First set of rivets on the vertical tail. Still struggling what to do with the rudder though... I don't like the two connecting points so clearly visible. Have to think about that. The added tube needs a bit of cleaning up too and the panel line behind it fixed.

1k0.jpg

I bought some Master AOA probes. Those look good! Next in this area are the details on the inside of the nose, since I'm building it with the radar visible. And again; some more details like the yaw vane, which is way too thick in the kit have to be added. 

1k0.jpg

The area behind the cockpit needs to be detailed too, especially since in the diorama, the canopy will be on a cradle next to the jet. So, I scratched the inside of the ducts. Now I have to add the details on the top side . Gonna be fun!

1k0.jpg

I still have to do some work before I can fix the wing to the fuselage (water reservoir on the wing and the area of the outer riggers), but then I get started on the air intakes and scratching the open in-flight refuelling robe. Very motivated to do that, since it'll be an area of interest. Lot of detail possible there! And I'll have to scratch the homing antennas on the sides of the air intakes in front of the forward nozzle fairing. 

1k0.jpg

I noticed that the leading edge of the inner wing pylon got a bit damaged, so I'll have to see to that. Still have to add some detail in the open pylon panel too! I will add the drop tanks, but I'll place them on the mid-wing pylons, that way, you can see more of the fuselage and nozzles. 

1k0.jpg

This kit is taking quite a bit of time, but it starts to look like something. Till the next update!

Nic