Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24D

belcherbits

7 minutes ago, bigern007 said:

Pardon my ignorance,but nobody has mentioned the horrible wing problem I have seen pics of,

Have the wings been corrected on newer releases?   The shape of the front fuselage and clear part looks correctable without too much sweat.

Just the humble opinion of a guy who doesn't have the space or funds for what looks like an impressive kit.    cheers  Ernie

The wing issue was mentioned in the B-24J thread, the wings are the same in both kit releases.

22 hours ago, rigor said:

Fearless Alex. Go man go 

I'm on it. Weekend means modelling time :frantic:

Here is the current status of the 3d-model:

oWjLH82.png

The 3d-model consits of both fuselage halves, with a 0,5 mm wide recessed line between where it can be cut appart later on. It also contains a 15 mm extension at the end. When printing something like this upwards with a FDM printer, there can be some temperature-related warping inwards at the lowest area of the printed part. Here, if such warping occures, only the rear extension will be affected, while the actual fuselage area should be fine. The extension also helps sanding the part smooth after printing, preventing too much sanding at the rear edge of the fuselage. At the end, the extension can be cut/sawed away along a recessed line.

The side-windows are tricky. At the moment, my idea is a larger recessed area at the fuselage, where later vacuformed clear parts will be added. The actual window-openings are further recessed, and must be carefully removed from the printed part. I also mady a separate forward extension, which can be pluged (not glued!) into the fuselage. This also helps when sanding the actuall fuselage, without damaging the forward edge while sanding. Here is the printed part with a coat of primer and a first sanding:

fspNRPF.jpg

That's the current status:

kA2IPWW.jpg

OaNThQR.jpg

Here is a comparison of my printed part with the Hobby Boss kit:

YWikHaT.jpg

Now, I'm working on the actual clear nose, which proves to be difficult to recreate in 3d.

Cheers

Alex

Edited by AlexM

I don't recall seeing anyone post on this previously... but it looks like folks wanting to show the flaps down will need to do some modifying as HB gives you "standard" hinged flaps. B-24 had Fowler flaps which slide backwards as they extend downward.

Reference from B-24 walkaround on ARC:

12_B-24_Flap_center.jpg

17 hours ago, seiran01 said:

I don't recall seeing anyone post on this previously... but it looks like folks wanting to show the flaps down will need to do some modifying as HB gives you "standard" hinged flaps. B-24 had Fowler flaps which slide backwards as they extend downward.

Reference from B-24 walkaround on ARC:

12_B-24_Flap_center.jpg

Yep,  another poor part of the kit which I think Iain pointed out the short comings in his build over in the group build. Fortunately you dont see many B-24's with flaps down on the ground though.

This kit is a proper mixed bag as I'm finding out. Apart from the wing issues they seem to have looked at a few airframes, stirred the pot and we have ended up with a mis mash of details.

Regards. Andy

I had EXACTLY the same experience down to the words in the note and the stuffed elephant as Dennis 7243. The main problem is that they gave the shipping number to EBay and they show the item as delivered. Beginning to sound a lot like fraud. Another lesson relearned. If the price is too good to be true then it probably is.:blowup:

Edited by Night Hog

On 10/19/2019 at 4:58 AM, AlexM said:

I'm on it. Weekend means modelling time :frantic:

Here is the current status of the 3d-model:

oWjLH82.png

The 3d-model consits of both fuselage halves, with a 0,5 mm wide recessed line between where it can be cut appart later on. It also contains a 15 mm extension at the end. When printing something like this upwards with a FDM printer, there can be some temperature-related warping inwards at the lowest area of the printed part. Here, if such warping occures, only the rear extension will be affected, while the actual fuselage area should be fine. The extension also helps sanding the part smooth after printing, preventing too much sanding at the rear edge of the fuselage. At the end, the extension can be cut/sawed away along a recessed line.

The side-windows are tricky. At the moment, my idea is a larger recessed area at the fuselage, where later vacuformed clear parts will be added. The actual window-openings are further recessed, and must be carefully removed from the printed part. I also mady a separate forward extension, which can be pluged (not glued!) into the fuselage. This also helps when sanding the actuall fuselage, without damaging the forward edge while sanding. Here is the printed part with a coat of primer and a first sanding:

fspNRPF.jpg

That's the current status:

kA2IPWW.jpg

OaNThQR.jpg

Here is a comparison of my printed part with the Hobby Boss kit:

YWikHaT.jpg

Now, I'm working on the actual clear nose, which proves to be difficult to recreate in 3d.

Cheers

Alex

I think HobbyBoss would find a better market making vacuum cleaner nozzles.

Agreed Mike - sure, some of the errors can be annoying, but HB/Trumpy kits have been consistently well engineered and easy to build in my experience.

For $160 bucks, I have a massive B-24 on my workbench right now that is being modified into an assembly ship, and for the most part I'm doing nothing to fix the errors of the kit. The only reason I'm considering the nose replacement is that the particular greenhouse at the front of mine was solid - no guns mounted in it and I can't modify the kit part to replicate that easily.

I can certainly be in the crowd of folks complaining about the obvious errors but at the end of the day, this is a hobby to me and I enjoy building models that companies like this have been so kind as to make available to us, errors or not :)

On 10/20/2019 at 2:48 PM, Night Hog said:

I had EXACTLY the same experience down to the words in the note and the stuffed elephant as Dennis 7243. The main problem is that they gave the shipping number to EBay and they show the item as delivered. Beginning to sound a lot like fraud. Another lesson relearned. If the price is too good to be true then it probably is.:blowup:

Same thing happened to me on a HB P-61, except no stuffed toy. Price seemed to be too good to be true and it was. Got a refund, though took some time.