Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24D

belcherbits

Oh, my. I have a problem. I just got this kit and had plans to make a 'Dumbo' chin radome for a GR.V. When I opened the box and looked at the front clear part, I was shocked. It is clearly the wrong shape, being MUCH too wide at the bottom. If I cut the base of this part off and made my radome to fit it, it would be way too wide.
Because this clear part fits the front of the fuselage, it also means the forward fuselage is also too wide. I'm not sure how or even IF this issue could be fixed.
I don't want to be that guy who delights in pointing out flaws in Hobby Boss kits; I would rather the kit have been done right.
I am attaching a photo showing the nose clear part from the front, with the Hobby Boss part on the left, and the same part from a 1/48 Monogram B-24D on the right. I am also attaching a couple supporting things I have got from the net via Carl Wimmi.compare.jpg

noseside.jpg

Edited by belcherbits
add a photo

Yep, that was the first thing I noticed when I got mine.  It’s pretty bad.  Also, it’s too “pointy” in the side view, probably because the small triangle of glass under the top center gun mount is flat.  The nose interior is pretty empty too.  Not even a bombsight mount (although the actual bombsight is still on the sprue, left over from the first release).

Blimey, almost fell of my bar stool when I saw that - but the real deal photo has restored my equilibrium!

I've just invested a considerable amount of dosh on AM bits and pieces for this kit (pre ordered with Hannants).

I'm over it now- the lovely barmaid is pouring me another pint. :thumbsup:

I always want to know if something is accurate or not, so that's cool

the more relevant comparison is the HB kit part to the real thing - which someone has duly presented (thank you)

there are many frustrating things with the J and now it seems with the D model, but it is what it is

so it's either aftermarket (turrets may be in the pipeline), scratchbuild (Davis wing from one very talented modeller) or suck it up and build it warts and all

Edited by nmayhew
not good to type a response when drunk

I received my B-24D just yesterday. So I just got out my calipers and took measurements. 

Width of HB part at:

Top frame: 1.390”

2nd frame: 1.480”

3rd frame:  1.520”

4th frame:  1.455”

The HB part clearly is a little “jowly” at the 4th/5th frame, but IMHO it is actually far more accurate than the 1:48 comparison shown, and also the photo shown the HB part is not propped up to be parallel; it is a bit skewed, which increases the distortion. No disrespect intended, I welcome the info. Just want to inject a little data. My gripe is, my box took a hit in shipping and my left fuselage half is broken apart above the waist gun position. Grrrr....

Edited by jimbo
context

3 hours ago, belcherbits said:

Oh, my. I have a problem.

Belcherbits,

Good catch. The profile and framing bother me more than the section. If it were my build, I'd sand off all the framing and as much of the pointy bit as the plastic will allow, polish it, and add the framing. If that didn't make me happy, I'd make a solid casting of the piece, sand it to the correct profile, plunge-mold a new piece in PETG and add the framing. Then again, I might wait for an outfit with a good track record in vac-forming or casting in clear resin to take a stab at it, which I think will happen before someone produces full replacements for the turrets and their innards.

Adam