Hasegawa F-4EJ Eggplane

Greg W

On 12/24/2020 at 9:19 AM, Oldbaldguy said:

Hmmmm.  All this magnificent work visited upon an egg plane makes me wonder:  Has anyone ever scratched an egg plane from nothing?  I mean, we’ve seen everything from gigantic scratch built B-17s to spaceships built from thin air, so why not egg planes as well?

https://m.facebook.com/eggplanemasters/

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Michael931080 said:

Hi GDW, any recent updates on your EggPlane Phantom???

Hi Michael.

I have not been feeling very well for the last two months. Just had some surgery yesterday and I am happy to say that after a bit of recovery, I will be back to normal. For now, I am enjoying perusing the site and lying low. 

Glad you checked in.

Greg

1 hour ago, GDW said:

Hi Michael.

I have not been feeling very well for the last two months. Just had some surgery yesterday and I am happy to say that after a bit of recovery, I will be back to normal. For now, I am enjoying perusing the site and lying low. 

Glad you checked in.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Sorry to hear about you not feeling well and the surgery!  Glad you're on the mend and enjoying the relaxing time!  Just take your time and enjoy.

All the best,

Michael

• 1 month later...

After quite a long, unsuccessful search for a Maketar Canopy Survival Kit, I finally found them in stock at Hannants and ordered two. Link below if you are not familiar with the product: 

Canopy Survival Kit

They have arrived in the mail and I can now press on with the build.

Now that I am thinking about gluing on the canopy, I decided to make one more improvement to what's underneath. The pilots shoulder harnesses never have look right to me, they seemed too "molded on" without enough relief. Applying a wash did not make the detail stand out adequately, so I used some photoetch buckles from an old Waldron detail set and Tamiya tape to make the much needed improvement. 

20200606_205026

I am much happier with how they look now. The ends of the belts float freely, adding shadow and dimension to a highly visible area. Tomorrow, I will paint them and get started masking the canopy. After the canopy is glued on... PAINT! 

20210329_022357

20210329_022530

20210329_023038

Cheers

Pictured below is the resin copy of the Eduard tailhook uplock (which I broke), modified to fit the model. This will not be fixed permanently until after painting. 

20210329_224822

The tape seat belts were painted with Tamiya XF-19 Sky Grey, lightened with XF-2 Flat White. I get good results brush painting Tamiya acrylics, using 70% isopropyl alcohol as a thinner. The paint was left to dry overnight, then the belts were given a wash with Flory Models Grey water based clay wash (with some Dark Dirt added). The following day everything was sealed with Winsor & Newton Galeria acrylic matt varnish, which works great. It self levels, never leaving brush marks and dries clear and flat, not cloudy or chalky.

20210331_233213

20210331_233100(0)

20210331_232904

The cockpit is done. Time to get the canopy masked, which I find to be the most difficult part of the hobby. This one in particular because there are no existing canopy frames present. My plan is to establish the canopy frames first with strips of tape, fill in the spaces and pull away the tape "frames" after the gaps are masked.

God willing and the creeks don't rise, we will have something to paint!

20210401_000742

2 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Looks phantastic. 

Thank you phrend!

Goodness, this happens on every F-4 build doesn't it... LSP house rules I think.

Phourtunately, the F phour community understands if no one else does.

Bhuh bye   

• 3 weeks later...

A major milestone on this little model has been passed tonight, with the help of Eduards 1/48  F-4 Phantom II mask set (EX 004), designed for Hasegawa F-4 kits. Here are the up to date pics, warts and all.

I just could not properly establish the canopy framing on the forward windscreen, using only thin strips of Tamiya tape. The mask set gave me what I needed in order to get symmetry and consistent gaps around the center oval part of the windscreen. Then, the rest of the frames were laid out with .5mm strips.       

20210418_232108

20210418_232148

20210419_004347

20210419_010913

Once the canopy was masked up, I sprayed Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black, followed by AK Real Color Light Sky Blue (FS 35526).

Of course, some touch ups have to be done when the paint hardens off, in order to sharpen up the broken edges on the frames but the most difficult part of the job is behind me now. Without the mask set, I would have never been able to get the result I did. Thank you Eduard!

20210419_022237

20210419_022250

20210419_022258

20210419_022432

Edited by GDW