Hasegawa F-4EJ Eggplane

Greg W

2 hours ago, Rockie Yarwood said:

This build is too cool. So many of us seem to be enjoying it, I wonder if this could inspire a future group build? Maybe "Pimped-Up (Egg) Planes"?

Seriously, I'd be in.  Cheers,  Rockie

I think special rules might have to be adopted for a LSP group build. Maybe members who want to join in could just have an unofficial one here in Non LSP Works? It would be as good and no time limits. Just have at it, anything goes! Well, maybe one rule, have fun. 

We could say I am just the first one to start the group project, join in one and all!

Good gracious, with the talent here at LSP, I bet all kinds of stunning/creative/mind altering builds would ensue.

I can only hope. Great suggestion Rockie.

P.S. Which one are you going to do?

Edited by GDW

Right, canopy polished. The frames evaporated during the process but no fractures. Happy camper.

20201221_021807

The splitter plates and compressor blades received some paint too and the HUD is now permanently attached to the instrument panel. 

20201219_190332

20201221_022136

20201221_022025

Oh man, great! Stellar choice, I love it already. Your creative juices will start flowing the more you think about it and then, thoughts like, "I could do this, I could do that, wait... would it be possible to add a do hicky?". Brother, your on your way to a good time messing around and you can't get it wrong. Rather than pushing your skills, you can just add what feels good to do and is already in the skill set, as much or as little as you want but keeping it enjoyable. 

Just get the kit and stare at it. The ideas will come.

Edited by GDW

5 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

GDW,

WOWZER !!

:yahoo:

EXQUISITE  & EXEMPLARY  Workmanship  With details that 

exudes skilful modeling. 

you are doing an OUTSTANDING  job.

Cannot wait to see more!

thank you.

:wow:    :clap2:      :thumbsup:    :punk:

KUDOS. 

:bow:   :bow:

Ever the stalwart supporter of LSP members and their efforts, thank you Maru. I'm glad your following along.

Happy holidays!

Greg

4 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I'm not much of a fan of eggplanes or tanks but you are certainly putting alot of good modeling efforts forth on this. Lookin' good.

Thank you very much!

Speaking of good modeling efforts, I am still thinking of your VW Kafer, which you knocked out of the park as far as I'm concerned. Makes me want to get back to my 1:16 version I started, many moons ago. 

On 12/23/2020 at 10:23 AM, Shawn M said:

I wish my 1/32 Phantom was going together this well

I like your Phantom Shawn! But I know how you feel. A 1:32 F-4 is quite a project isn't it? Thats why I wanted to practice on this and figure some things out before I took it on. Heated natural metal finish on the tail, a huge surface to weather, great big visible two place cockpit, the AB cans... all areas I have felt I need to get better at. Not to mention masking canopies, an area of the hobby that has always given me fits. Hence, this round of avation modeling/eggplane practice. 

Edited by GDW

20201223_130309

The coat of Tamiya AS-12 revealed a still visible seam that needed attention along the back side. I ended up taking out part of the arrestor hook uplock while sanding. With Eduards current troubles, I just ordered another Brassin exhaust set from Sprue Brothers rather than pester them for a replacement. A kindly LSP member has agreed to cast multiple copies of the small part for me. Afterwards, I will give the set to my good friend Albert, who will use it on a Hasegawa F-4E he has in his collection. 

Tomorrow, I will touch up the NMF, let dry and start to simulate the heated metal sections of the tail. I would appreciate your feedback and recommendations. Going out into unfamiliar territory now.

Good night!

Hmmmm.  All this magnificent work visited upon an egg plane makes me wonder:  Has anyone ever scratched an egg plane from nothing?  I mean, we’ve seen everything from gigantic scratch built B-17s to spaceships built from thin air, so why not egg planes as well?

20 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Hmmmm.  All this magnificent work visited upon an egg plane makes me wonder:  Has anyone ever scratched an egg plane from nothing?  I mean, we’ve seen everything from gigantic scratch built B-17s to spaceships built from thin air, so why not egg planes as well?

Yes, if you Google scratch built eggplane you with get a number of hits. Here's one: Egg Plane From Scratch 

A few more items made it into the spray booth, landing gear and stabilators.

20201225_055443

The 1:72 Monogram F-4 C/D parts (1985 boxing) are impressive. Because the little plane sits so low to the ground, I have been thinking that the main gear would be hidden from view but actually, looking forward from the back side, many of the MLG details are visible. 

The wheels (center) are 7/32" in diameter.

20201225_060200

Edited by GDW

Since I sanded away the framing on the canopy, I have been playing around with masking. Not real happy with my efforts. I ordered a Maketar canopy masking survival kit to make things a little easier. It is on back order but projected to ship early January. So while I am waiting for the mask set and Eduard exhaust, I have continued working on the landing gear. At this point, the tires have been painted and two coats of Tamiya XF-86 Flat Clear have been applied.

20201226_005415