Hasegawa F-4EJ Eggplane

Greg W

Mark, that HUD is beautifully done! I'm going to read through your AH-1 thread for sure, glad you pointed it out. 

I have read that clear MV lenses yellow over time. How have the ones you've used held up? I think MV Products is not around anymore. Is there a company currently making the kind of lenses MV used to make?

Seam filling was the order of the day, here on the 20th of June. The F-4 is the worst of the bunch in the eggplane series for fit. The lions share of the gaps have been taken care of, one more application of Mr. Surfacer 500 will be needed to fill some remaining small depressions. Obviously, the seams are not big but the model has raised detail which needs to be protected (I will not be scribing recessed panel lines) and some of the sanding has to be done carefully, in quite confined areas. The fuselage is the same size as a real, extra large egg. FYI: From the end of the nose without the pitot tube, to the end of the tail, the model is 3" long. The wingspan measures out to  3  7/8".

Taking a break from filler work, I broke open a 1/144 F-4 kit I picked up from Hobby Lobby in order to examine the drop tanks and weapons. I have quickly glued the drop tanks together in order to take a comparison photo of the underwing stores. Part clean up will happen later. Noteworthy is the fact that the pegs on the Academy pylons precisely match the holes in the eggplanes wing. 

50027491523_851fed02c5_k.jpg

50028293042_1e08a8c3c5_k.jpg

Top pylon Hasegawa, bottom Academy.

50027491933_78e491d868_k.jpg

50027492828_b06bd3eb19_k.jpg

50028029276_d3cb2b04c5_k.jpg

Edited by GDW

'I have read that clear MV lenses yellow over time. How have the ones you've used held up? I think MV Products is not around anymore. Is there a company currently making the kind of lenses MV used to make?'

I have not had any problems with yellowing.  It may be because I use Future as an adhesive and not CA.  They have held up both in storage, like this one, and applied to models, without worries.  I don't know if the company is solvent, or not.  I've done a search for MV Products and Sprue Brothers, among others, show they have a stock.

MV Products started out as a Model Railroading product and branched out to Aircraft and Armor sizes.  I don't know of an alternate.  But, I do know that I would call Walthers Model Railroading (Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 3:00pm CT at 1-800-4TRAINS [1-800-487-2467]. Internationally, please call 1-414-527-0770) to find an alternate.  Walthers is BIG TIME Model Railroading.  If anyone would know of an alternate, they would.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 2 months later...

Wow! You weren't kidding.

You've spent a fair whack of time on this thing.

It definitely looks the part.:goodjob:

I think the pencil panel lines will suit this thing best.

Anything you engrave will probably be too stark. It wants a nice subtle line I think.

Thanks for stopping by the shop to-day, been a while...

Now, I wanna see this thing get finished!  :piliot:

3 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

Wow! You weren't kidding.

You've spent a fair whack of time on this thing.

It definitely looks the part.:goodjob:

I think the pencil panel lines will suit this thing best.

Anything you engrave will probably be too stark. It wants a nice subtle line I think.

Thanks for stopping by the shop to-day, been a while...

Now, I wanna see this thing get finished!  :piliot:

Hi Tzulscha. I want to see this get finished too! I was on a roll for a while, working on two enjoyable "small" projects at the same time (this one and my 1:48 Bf-109F), then... the last week of July, two back to back moves sidelined everything in my life! I helped my Mother and Sister move into their new home, got them situated and immediately had to pack up everything of mine because my landlord sold the house I have been renting for the last seven years. Yesterday, I turned over the keys to the old place and now I am settling in to my new home. Believe me, as soon as I can unpack and organize my new workspace, the Eggplane and 109 will see lots of progress. There is a great deal of pent up desire to return to my bench. So much so, I'll probably burn right through to the end of both kits in record time!

Heres a look at my new hobby room as of today, 08-21-2020

50253414652_888afa6162_k.jpg

50253234796_771299c7b4_k.jpg

50253236111_ffa45a7c9e_k.jpg

Yeah, going to be a couple weeks to get things organized.

Thanks Tzulscha for checking in! I really appreciate it. Here's to a quick turn around so I can finish this one up. I'm looking forward to unpacking it. Everything survived the move which is a minor scale modeling miracle right there.

Cheers friends, Greg

Edited by GDW

12 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Very Cool! Just keep in min the main wheels should face inwards. :) 

Hi Ben. Not only are the main gear turned around in that picture but the nose gear is too. I am three for three on that one. I was so interested in the hight of the gear when I took that photo that I guess I couldn't be bothered with turning them in the right direction. Adding and test fitting the main gear with the landing gear doors sorted everything out subsequently.

Thank you for taking the time to mention it, I very much appreciate the assist, and the likes! 

Greg

On 8/31/2020 at 1:24 PM, Citadelgrad said:

I don't get to this part of the board enough.  This is a cool project, and I noticed you are from Petoskey.  My mom's family was from Grayling, I still remember looking for "Petosky rocks" locally.  Man, that was a long time ago.

Cool Phantom!

Thanks a lot, Citadelgrad! 

In 1980, my Father was living and working in Grayling. I spent a couple summers there, always looking at the sky, watching the National Guard Hueys flying all over the place. In those days, there was a tremendous amount of activity at Camp Grayling and there still is during the summer. 

Polished Petoskey stones are still a popular item at local gift shops. Fudge and rubber tomahawks too, been that way since I was a kid. I love living here, all four seasons are beautiful and I have wonderful life long friends spread around Michigan. As you know, this is a great place to invite friends and family to visit. Close to Mackinac Island (35 miles), vast national parks in the U.P. (Michigans upper peninsula), hunting and fishing opportunities all over the place and much more. Southern Michigan has a number of outstanding brick and mortar hobby shops even today (September 2020). BTW, The Kalamazoo Air Zoo museum is a must see for any LSP member on vacation in the lower peninsula. 

Greg

Edited by GDW

On 9/11/2020 at 8:57 PM, D.B. Andrus said:

Very nice setup, Greg! 

I look forward to your finishing work on the F-4.  Never knew an eggplane could look so good!

Cheers,

Damian

Many thanks Damian! This project is just a whole lot of fun. A good way to use up left over bits and pieces too.