Hasegawa F-4EJ Eggplane

Greg W

14 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Since ya asked, here are some of the Meng Cute series of models that I did.  I didn't do nearly the amount of super-detailing that you are putting on your F-4 but certain modifications were made to appease the scale modeler in me.

JTK-0913-zpsg6qfm2ye.jpg

JTK_0239_zps0jcka8ic.jpg

JTK-2057-zpssbk7lo7t.jpg

Your paint work is just so incredibly good. Right up there with the very best modelers on the site (or any other site for that matter). These are stellar. If I can produce a final result half as good as these I will be very happy. More inspiration!

Thanks, Greg

Edited by GDW

13 hours ago, RLWP said:

I wouldn't, these models are supposed to be a bit of fun.

So far you have managed a rather neat bit of work with a 'real world' interior in a cartoon exterior. It would be very easy to go overboard on making the exterior 'real' when it never can be because of the proportions

If you do try for panel lines, remember they will have to follow the egginess of the plane - no rectangles

And... Rule one always applies - it's your model, build it how you want

Richard

I think you are right on every account Richard. The bottom line is, if it isn't fun to do, don't do it! Eggplane prime directive.

6 hours ago, USMC Herc said:

GDW you have grafted so many great model parts to make this Egg look awesome. Was asking about the missles as an Idea I had was looking for a few in the spars box and cutting them down to give the look. 

The main gear is looking great. As you noted the stance of the phantom looks great.

Cheers

Jason

The kit missile pictured below, is 1 1/8" long and 3/16" in diameter. Looking at the picture of the kit built OOB, you can see how it appears with paint. So far, my plan is to drill out the exhaust and call it good. If you have some ideas, post some pictures and let's see what your cooking up. 

Thanks Jason, I think the established and potential eggplane builders will be curious as well.

Greg

49589372251_2a8f765fc8_b.jpg

49589372271_93c98d4969_z.jpg

Edited by GDW

After thinking about your post Jason, I looked again at the missile in the kit and I don't think it is a Sparrow. I believe it is a simplified version of the larger anti ship missile used by the JASDF. A Sparrow missile would be roughly, 1" in 1/144 scale. The missile in the kit is 1 1/8" long, so I think a 1/144 scale ASM would be perfect, size wise. Check out this set on the Hobbylink Japan website. Lots of choices for a loadout.

49592793823_72a3890446_b.jpg

49593294576_c227c29e1b_b.jpg

Edited by GDW

The last big hurdle as far as building goes, has been refining the fit of the canopy. The hope today, was that I might even be able to glue it in place. The canopy really is the worst thing about the kit and unfortunately, as I was working to perfect the fit, I saw some swirl marks in two places that travel through the clear plastic and can not be polished out. With all the work done to add interest to the cockpit, I want a much better piece to start with. A new kit is on the way (grand total of seven bucks) in the hope that the new canopy will not have such noticeable defects.

I temporarily installed the tail pipes and intakes, along with the canopy in order to see if light is visible pouring through any gaps, into the interior of the Model. Didn't see any light creeping in so that's good. Only a couple more things to do before paint: a small amount of seem work and install the new canopy. Actually three, clean up the two missiles and pylons. The landing gear are ready for paint and will be installed when the painting is completed.

You can see the overall lines of the model below, with the major components attached. The fisheye effect of my cellphone is really apparent in the view, showing the interior of the exhaust. I do like the way they turned out. 

49603021307_9b0ec7c409_b.jpg

49603021827_535e3d3997_b.jpg

49602759011_2f34fbae83_b.jpg

49602257973_d05a621f95_b.jpg

49603024392_a142857363_b.jpg

Edited by GDW

17 hours ago, Shawn M said:

love it, looks like a hotrod with those big cans on it

I agree. When I first got them, I thought they might be a bit long but not now. Looking at the models profile after having the after burners stuck on for a bit, I've been thinking that a longer pitot tube might balance out the extended rear end, so I ordered a 1:48 Fine Molds pitot. It hasn't arrived in the mail yet. I did not see the actual length in the product description. It sure looks good. I have a Hasegawa 1:48 F-4E I can use it on if it's way to big.

49612592441_5185a96e9d_b.jpg

Edited by GDW

• 2 weeks later...

if you believe pitot is to long. Could you use stretch sprue? Would liquid filler (supper glue , wood glue, childrens white glue, etc) have enough tension to blend the sprue into the nose?

It is looking great.

Cheers

Jason