Hasegawa F-4EJ Eggplane

Greg W

14 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

That looks amazing! The pilot looks like a non egg plane pilot. Really great work,.....I've got an F-104 and another egg plane in the stash to get to myself

I definitely want to see what you would do with one of these. There are some really great looking JASDF F-104 paint schemes too. I am going to pick up one of the 104 eggplanes for sure.

Edited by GDW

4 hours ago, ringleheim said:

The cockpit and pilot look fantastic!  Your work here is inspiring in that it truly makes me want to order one of these egg planes and give it a go.  

It's the kind of thing that will put a smile on your face every time you glance at it, once it's finished.

Which one do you think you'd do?

I am impressed with the Eduard exhaust set which looks even better in person than in my cell phone pictures. I had to over expose the photo of the afterburner can, in order to show the details. The combination of the resin and photoetch parts look great. I painted the resin with Tamiya X-11 Chrome Silver, the photoetch parts are unpainted, OOB.

49577093818_1e614786f7_b.jpg

49577600921_18106b91dd_b.jpg

49577094773_74dd2c9aa6_b.jpg

Edited by GDW

With the upgrade to the tail pipes sorted out, it was time to address the lack of detail in the intakes. I rummaged around my stash of old kits and found a 1/48 AMT A-10. The outer portions of one of the engine faces were cut and placed on the flat blank, closing off the intake. 

First two pictures are what the intakes look like out of the box.

49581540293_d1d1449a6a_b.jpg

49581539603_d2331a94e4_b.jpg

49581999881_76c250cea8_b.jpg

49582000301_70dcbafabf_b.jpg

49582001256_65a65b48cb_b.jpg

Edited by GDW

Looking beautiful. This is the best I have seen in Japan or USA. 

These aircraft are built alot in Japan. In all sorts of paint schemes. But I have never seen one upgraded like this.

Question are you going to place any air to air missles for the Marine Phanto

?

Cheers,

Jason

5 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Ha!  I love it!  I've dabbled in a few similar models (Tiger Cute series) myself.  It can be quite fun to apply scale modeling techniques to these non-scale models.  Any thoughts on scribing some panel lines on that smooth fuselage?

I am the world's worst panel line scriber. I have been playing with the idea of drawing some panel lines in with a pencil. We will see after I try it on the paint mule.  The local Hobby Lobby has a ton of all sorts of pencil types, so a trip there will yield a bag of stuff to experiment with. 

Maybe I can convince you to post some pictures  of your Tiger Cute planes here? I think it will add some fuel to the eggplane fire!

6 hours ago, USMC Herc said:

Looking beautiful. This is the best I have seen in Japan or USA. 

These aircraft are built alot in Japan. In all sorts of paint schemes. But I have never seen one upgraded like this.

Question are you going to place any air to air missles for the Marine Phanto

?

Cheers,

Jason

Hi Jason, the kit comes with what I think are supposed to be, two simplified AIM 7E Sparrow missiles. I am going to use those because a good paint job and some decals are all they need to look the part. 

The kit landing gear stuck on for the first time.

49586571842_36494ef783_b.jpg

49586572182_05658674fa_b.jpg

I measured the kit main gear doors to show me where to cut down the Monogram ones. I like the stance and height of the original landing gear so I'm just duplicating that with the grafted on doner parts.

49586671217_a3b7692312_b.jpg

49586332786_155ea0e6f1_b.jpg

49585834648_8d24165f57_b.jpg

Edited by GDW

3 hours ago, GDW said:

I am the world's worst panel line scriber. I have been playing with the idea of drawing some panel lines in with a pencil. We will see after I try it on the paint mule.  The local Hobby Lobby has a ton of all sorts of pencil types, so a trip there will yield a bag of stuff to experiment with. 

I wouldn't, these models are supposed to be a bit of fun.

So far you have managed a rather neat bit of work with a 'real world' interior in a cartoon exterior. It would be very easy to go overboard on making the exterior 'real' when it never can be because of the proportions

If you do try for panel lines, remember they will have to follow the egginess of the plane - no rectangles

And... Rule one always applies - it's your model, build it how you want

Richard

10 hours ago, GDW said:

Hi Jason, the kit comes with what I think are supposed to be, two simplified AIM 7E Sparrow missiles. I am going to use those because a good paint job and some decals are all they need to look the part. 

GDW you have grafted so many great model parts to make this Egg look awesome. Was asking about the missles as an Idea I had was looking for a few in the spars box and cutting them down to give the look. 

The main gear is looking great. As you noted the stance of the phantom looks great.

Cheers

Jason