Hasegawa F-4EJ Eggplane

Greg W

The base painting on the pilot is done. After laying down the colors, I've applied some decals and when they are dry, I will seal everything with a couple coats of acrylic clear. That way, while working some interest into the clothing, if I'm not happy with the washes/dry brushing or shadows and highlights, I can simply wipe off the paint and try again (without going back to square one). We shall see if I can pull off a decent figure on this project. Figure painting is the most challenging aspect of scale modeling and I'm just starting to really practice it. Fortunately, the visor is down on the eggplanes pilot!

Cheers friends, Greg

49476529102_836628547c_b.jpg

49476529597_31e6fdba6a_b.jpg

49476308986_1f0afbdee7_b.jpg

Edited by GDW

• 3 weeks later...

I have wanted to try a method for making ejection seat handles which I learned about when reading through the LSP Tips and Techniques area of the forum. Here is a link to the article. Following the afore mentioned procedure, now I've glued the handles to the top of the seat and when the glue has hardened, I will bend them around and glue the other ends.

49552703573_d579a725d1_b.jpg

49552705203_7e1dbea3cc_b.jpg

Edited by GDW

Test fit of the canopy. Yeah, it's going to need a significant amount of work to create a seamless join to the fuselage. Milliput makes a black colored epoxy putty, maybe that might be the way to go. I'll sleep on it.

49559565001_b83627f00a_b.jpg

49559807337_3012343c99_b.jpg

49559071048_2de0b8ccc0_b.jpg

Edited by GDW

9 hours ago, Shawn M said:

that looks awesome, that pilot and seat are real jewels

Thank you Shawn, It means a lot to get a comment like that. In the past, I often just saw the flaws and the way the work didn't measure up to the vision in my minds eye. To heck with all that though, here's to having a good time while practicing and getting better. I have to say that LSP has been one of the most important influences in the latter days of my modeling career. So much inspiration! Along with a great deal of help and encouragement. Incredible really.

Greg

Greg we're all our worst critics as we are inevitably to close to the subject to be subjective.

This forum has been a god send of support and encouragement.

I love this "fun" builds, they're good stress breakers and in my case the only thing I can build atm.

Cant wait to see this finished up, gonna be a real stunner!

"It's the kind of thing that will put a smile on your face every time you glance at it, once it's finished."

Absolutely, I crack up throughout my day thinking about this project! I have to remember, inside laughter Greg, inside laughter...

49568126207_44e2e27810_b.jpg

After work, I fixed the instrument panel in place, sanded the fuselage seams and glued the wings on. While the glue was setting, I started to modify the Monogram 1/72 scale F-4 landing gear, which are just perfect for adding more pazazz to the build.

49567400573_8febbd9caf_b.jpg

Edited by GDW