B-17 Down

Unfortunately I can also see it going the way of the GG crash at Reno years back where after all is hashed out the families of those who got killed start suing any and all involved, even though they may or may not know anything about historic aircraft or the situation in general. Not trying to be a negative Nancy, but it seems like the climate we live in. 

Very tragic news!

I was very lucky to fly on Sentimental Journey over Montreal a few years ago. The view on the St-Laurence down through the open bomb bay doors was memorable!

I feel very sad for all involved in this crash.

One important thing to say is this should be analysed as any other plane crash, before coming to any conclusion about "old" warbirds. Let's not become pessimistic too hastily.

I would not hesitate to fly again if the opportunity arises again!

Alain

IIRC, there are a LOT of waivers ect, one must sign before flying on a restored war bird. I'm sure this would not prevent retaliatory suing of the people involved by loved ones, nor obviously does it prevent any loss of life, or make the loss of life any easier to take. 

Its a shame all the way around, and a big loss in many ways. 

Don't know how to link with the iphone, but Vasaviation on youtube has the tower communications with the plane and all seemed perfectly normal until touchdown.

Also all the exchanges with emergency vehicules and other planes on the ground or around at that time. 

Alain

1 hour ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Very tragic news!

I was very lucky to fly on Sentimental Journey over Montreal a few years ago. The view on the St-Laurence down through the open bomb bay doors was memorable!

I feel very sad for all involved in this crash.

One important thing to say is this should be analysed as any other plane crash, before coming to any conclusion about "old" warbirds. Let's not become pessimistic too hastily.

I would not hesitate to fly again if the opportunity arises again!

Alain

It may be more difficult to determine the cause of the crash, as I would doubt there were black boxes installed in the plane. 

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Unfortunately I can also see it going the way of the GG crash at Reno years back where after all is hashed out the families of those who got killed start suing any and all involved, even though they may or may not know anything about historic aircraft or the situation in general. Not trying to be a negative Nancy, but it seems like the climate we live in. 

Not really the time or place for an arguement, but if someone you loved bought a ticket for a 70 year old fairground ride and it caught fire and killed them, I'm pretty sure you'd be wanting recompense for your loss.

33 minutes ago, 32scalelover said:

It may be more difficult to determine the cause of the crash, as I would doubt there were black boxes installed in the plane. 

I guess not, but with some luck, there could be an enthusiast filming the landing. Possible traces on the runway etc, are additional clues.

Alain

The injuries and loss of life are tragic.

I have had questions in my mind about flying as a passenger in a war bird.  There are very few of these planes flying, I speak in terms of all types of WWII planes.  With that said, the crash rate among this very small population of planes seems fairly high.  My impression is that about once a year we hear of an accident involving a warbird.  

At the same time I am not sure they should not be flown.  I am of very mixed feelings in this regard.  A few years ago a famous Mustang went down and was a total loss.  I also was watching videos about the Mosquito and saw where someone had restored one and crashed.  

I am certain I will not fly in one.  I think as long as people accept the risk is higher than you might think it is up to them.  People don't tend to respect danger though until it is too late and may be treating these things like a ride which does not respect the real history of these aircraft.  

A 30 minute ride in a B-17 is only that, you really are not experiencing the aircraft as that would require taking a 8 hour flight at about 30,000.00 feet to really get a sense of what it was like.  

I hope my mixed feeling in this regard come through, I certainly do not see the way warbirds are used as all positives.