British Military Serials

This has never occurred to me before, but now it has, I'd be rather interested to know, if anyone can come up with an answer:  why do RAF serials not use the letter "Y"?  Take a look: http://www.ukserials.com/

There's no Yxxxx series; no VYxxx; no WYxxx; no ZYzzz.  It lists some in the "XYxxx" range, and shows them as changed to "XZxxx".  My copy of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Military-Aircraft-Serials-1878-1987/dp/090459761X   shows those in the "XYxxx" range as "allocated in error" and changed.   It appears that the military aircraft register is deliberately avoiding the letter "Y".

Does anyone happen to know why? (Sorry, a genuine question, but pun intended!)

On 10/2/2019 at 6:59 AM, Gerhard said:

Very good question. I'm intrigued. Maybe because it's the call sign for "Yankee"?

Ah, but in the days when the "Yxxxx" range would have been used, ie pre-1940, the phonetic for Y was "Yoke" - "Yankee" came in with the NATO phonetic alphabet.

16 hours ago, Ossington 1 said:

Possibly to avoid it being misread as an "X". 

Could be; I've also heard that it is the possibility of confusion with "V".

5 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Nor is there an “O” or a “Q” range

Now you mention it, that is so.

I wouldn't have thought the phonetic alphabet would have anything to do with it as unlike civil aircraft (private jobs) they don't use the registration as a call sign.

RAF aircraft using civil/military traffic control have their own callsigns the most common of which is "Ascot" for transport jobs mainly so the callsign would be "Ascot 123 " or such.

Indeed so.  I've been digging a bit further on this; it seems that despite "C" being generally unused, the combination "NCxxx" was used cor some unknown reason; and although it didn't contain any "forbidden" letters, the combination"DHxxx" was not used - for obvious reasons.