1:24 Airfix Mosquito differences

LSP_K2

6 hours ago, RonGUSA said:

The first kit had the instrument glass with the decals already attached, but some were off register. 

Thanks, Ron. I've been kicking around the idea of grabbing one, and found a great deal online, so may just go ahead and grab it.

21 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Thanks, Ron. I've been kicking around the idea of grabbing one, and found a great deal online, so may just go ahead and grab it.

Check out my build over on LSM, this thing is massive and can at times be a mojo killer! But it is a good kit, albate very tedious build, especially when you go as far as I am going...lol. It's in t bgg e works in progress area.

Ron G 

Yes, I've read that it can be a challenge, but I just love the Mosquito, so I'll undoubtedly eventually have to have one. I just snatched a Tamiya 1:48 kit recently, and am already chasing down AM for it as well.

32 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Yes, I've read that it can be a challenge, but I just love the Mosquito, so I'll undoubtedly eventually have to have one. I just snatched a Tamiya 1:48 kit recently, and am already chasing down AM for it as well.

Check out my post on LSM on how to fix the landing gear by adding metal tubes and rods. Sadly most of the good aftermarket for the big Mossie is no longer available, the stuff from Neil at Paragon. The Airscale instrument panel is nice, the Barracuda wheels are a must and lots of books, I have seven. I'm not at my bench right now so will post there names latter, plus all of the after market I have for this kit. Oh, I'm working with Tom at HB Hobbies on getting RexX to make exhausts for it. If your not familiar with them they are scale wall thickness hollow metal "galvanicly grown" metal that don't need to be painted. So maybe in a month or so they will be available.

Ron G 

Edited by RonGUSA

OK, Ron, I'll look forward to your list of Mosquito references. I have roughly 25 books on the Mosquito, perhaps more, as I'm a major fan of the aircraft (and books too), but wouldn't hesitate to add more. Yes, I'm aware of the exhausts, sort of the same as the now defunct Moskit products, which were also excellent.

It builds up very nicely OOB but aftermarket stuff can add a bit to it.

The landing gear is fine oob too unless you want to add detail.

I scratched a brace for the retraction jack and added plenty of plumbing but it doesn't detract from the model if you don't.

I know Taffyman did a nice job and Anthony in New Zealand has one on the go.

Don't forget there are conversion sets too for building different variants from people like Alleycat like the TR33 I did.