1/32 Buccaneer anyone?

Kagemusha

I was expecting a large model, but this is a BIG BEAST, at least by my standards.

Surface detailing is excellent on mine, with no panel lines fading away. The fin unit and tailplanes are nice and crisp, although I may thin the rudder down when I get the chance to compare with photos, and I've plans to separate the fin top and articulate it as per the real thing. There is a very slight (five degrees or so warp on the starboard outer wing tip which looks easily correctable with a dip in hot water, and the integral vortex generators are quite finely moulded and certainly preferable to lining up individual photo etch ones. The decals, while only basic markings, are clear and sharp, though may be best placed on a white background to maintain colour accuracy. No stencils of course, but I'm looking forward to the Kits World sheets being scaled up.

I had pre-decided to build an RAF mid '80s wraparound version, but find myself wondering about an EDSG FAA with the high white demarcation now, to show off the detail - some to be added - on the lower fuselage now.

I'm still in the fondling and examination stage, but I'm not finding anything the least bit horrible, and a lot to like. Well done Alan on reproducing a very nice model project indeed.

If the F-4K surfaces before the HK Models version, and is to the same standard of accuracy and moulding as the Bucc,  I'm in

44 minutes ago, Chek said:

I was expecting a large model, but this is a BIG BEAST, at least by my standards.

Surface detailing is excellent on mine, with no panel lines fading away. The fin unit and tailplanes are nice and crisp, although I may thin the rudder down when I get the chance to compare with photos, and I've plans to separate the fin top and articulate it as per the real thing. There is a very slight (five degrees or so warp on the starboard outer wing tip which looks easily correctable with a dip in hot water, and the integral vortex generators are quite finely moulded and certainly preferable to lining up individual photo etch ones. The decals, while only basic markings, are clear and sharp, though may be best placed on a white background to maintain colour accuracy. No stencils of course, but I'm looking forward to the Kits World sheets being scaled up.

I had pre-decided to build an RAF mid '80s wraparound version, but find myself wondering about an EDSG FAA with the high white demarcation now, to show off the detail - some to be added - on the lower fuselage now.

I'm still in the fondling and examination stage, but I'm not finding anything the least bit horrible, and a lot to like. Well done Alan on reproducing a very nice model project indeed.

If the F-4K surfaces before the HK Models version, and is to the same standard of accuracy and moulding as the Bucc,  I'm in

Mine only arrived yesterday and I can’t stop smiling.

Well I'm sitting  here after another long modelling session, and I now have the fuselage halves together , the belly tank installed and the Vertical fin attached , and with the wings test fitted ,

So I'm looking down at a 1/32 Buccaneer , yes there's a LOAD of work to be done , for example I've started on the masters for the RAF pylons , but she looks so dammed good, and yes pics will follow!

until the build thread update I will share one hint , that is if anyone is building an RAF aircraft, and is planning to use the belly tank, get a Dremel, a facemask, and a shop vac  oh and a kettle of hot water won't go amiss - ask me how I know go on - I dare you !

Its a long  slog guys , but its modelling of the old school , and it's fun

Edited by Scotsman
I can't type

One tip I'll offer from previous experience - I'm nowhere even remotely near on this one - is to insert a metal pin or needle with the point set at where the extreme tip of the nose will be located. When sanding the radome to a sharp point, you  can get a very realistic shallow reflex curve if you're not overly aggressive and it makes it a lot less delicate.

Plenty of resin positive rivets around the tail cone will also be needed.

12 hours ago, Chek said:

One tip I'll offer from previous experience - I'm nowhere even remotely near on this one - is to insert a metal pin or needle with the point set at where the extreme tip of the nose will be located. When sanding the radome to a sharp point, you  can get a very realistic shallow reflex curve if you're not overly aggressive and it makes it a lot less delicate.

Plenty of resin positive rivets around the tail cone will also be needed.

Indeed. I already thought about that. Considering the scale, a nail could be more appropriate! 

Does anybody have a comment on the dip of the intake just prior to where the wing junction commences?

It's not something I've noticed before, but in fairness you'd have to be above the beast to see it. It may well be there - but just not visible in most WA photos.

I'm also thinking it may look more like it when the wing's attached. Or it may need filled. It's the same on both sides.

Observations welcomed.

49257791878_3a162ca542_b.jpg

Definitely agree - Alan knows his stuff! I think I'd have one of the new Airfix 1/72nd Bucc to hand to compare it to as they will have ladar scanned a real machine but I would put money on Alan being right!! He's that kind of guy>

Simon

3 hours ago, Chek said:

Does anybody have a comment on the dip of the intake just prior to where the wing junction commences?

It's not something I've noticed before, but in fairness you'd have to be above the beast to see it. It may well be there - but just not visible in most WA photos.

I'm also thinking it may look more like it when the wing's attached. Or it may need filled. It's the same on both sides.

Observations welcomed.

49257791878_3a162ca542_b.jpg

Yes, I have that too. Shrinkage over a very thick area of resin, I suspect. Rough up with 80 grit sandpaper, and miliput the area, I will probably do.