1/32 Buccaneer anyone?

Kagemusha

Looking at the big amount of 'stuff' that Alan is supplying I think it is a very reasonable price, I know of some  'Scratch Aid' kit suppliers in the model railway industry and they have gone from strength to strength. It's a bigger person who decides to do something that isn't available and it should be supported.

Graham

On 9/30/2019 at 9:45 AM, Out2gtcha said:

Uuuuhg. They INSTANTLY lost me when they started referring to a "quarter scale Vulcan".

A quarter scale Vulcan would have a wingspan of roughly 25 feet...........

1/48th scale is called quarter scale because 1/4” is equal to 1’ in 1/48th scale

Airfix have just brought out the Buccaneer in "boys' own" 1/72 scale and have announced a small scale Vulcan for next November, which looks nice. Those are probably my current capability ceiling, but I do look forward to seeing Alan's Bucc and tin triangle made up in 1/32 and 1/48, respectively.

With regards the funny stuff Graham uses, is that capable of glueing polyurethane resin and will the chemists ring MI5 if I ask for a bottle? 

Tony 

If I wanted a model of an aeroplane enough, and if it was within my budget, I'd be more than happy to do a bit of scratch-building to make it complete, and probably feel extra satisfaction in so doing.

4 minutes ago, Fred Jack said:

1/48th scale is called quarter scale because 1/4” is equal to 1’ in 1/48th scale

Yes, and decimal doesn't sound nice, e.g. 2.08 per cent of life size, which is less impressive than "quarter [inch] scale"

Maybe you need to be sixty+ to understand how fractions are ingrained in our pysche. Nowadays, it's all digital and thumbin', innit ¿

Tony 

17 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Airfix have just brought out the Buccaneer in "boys' own" 1/72 scale and have announced a small scale Vulcan for next November, which looks nice. Those are probably my current capability ceiling, but I do look forward to seeing Alan's Bucc and tin triangle made up in 1/32 and 1/48, respectively.

With regards the funny stuff Graham uses, is that capable of glueing polyurethane resin and will the chemists ring MI5 if I ask for a bottle? 

Tony 

No! that funny stuff is only for perspex and styrene, I actually bought a tin from Squires on Saturday at the show. I remember a story from my old college lecturer who said that in the old days you could get it from the chemist and they would usually say 'what for?' but if you said for gluing Perspex thay would say OK. It is Dychloromethane and the stuff they used to knock you out with a cloth over your mouth on James Bond type films was Trichloromethane, there is no difference in their ability to glue plastic BTW, we used to use both. 

Graham

1 hour ago, Fred Jack said:

Unfortunately I'm very aware of that and its my main point all together. I flew actual quarter scale R/C with my dad for many years, and that "expression" is one of the if not the largest pet peeves of mine in all of modeling. Specifically when it comes to anything other that something that is a forth the size of the real deal.

Unlike every other term in our hobby, somehow 1/48th got associated with that term, when it had no association to the actual meaning of "quarter scale".  1 quarter inch is NOT quarter scale; its one quarter inch scale, big difference. Quarter scale is the same as any other scale, its size is in its name; in this case a quarter or 1/4th if the real thing. Just like "half scale" is just that, one half of the 1:1. In my book scale is science and for me the terms aren't interchangeable.

Got one!! By chance, Tim Maunder and I, who were running a temporary stand at the Telford show for Roy Sutherland of Barracuda Studios, ended up on tables next to Alan, and opposite Aviattic. We were all pretty busy, but the Harrier SIG managed to sell a bunch of 3D printed parts I had done for them, so with cash burning a hole in my pocket, Alan kindly sold me one of his Buccaneers!  I only really got a close look at it today, and while there will be a fair bit of work to get it together, it has all the makings of a fabulous model. It is NOT Tamiya, you will have to apply a fair bit of experience to bring the pieces together, but considering the limitations of the process, and materials,  all perfectly doable.

AND IT IS A 1:32 BUCCANEER!!!!

Alan has mentioned a few updated parts and decals are in the pipeline, and I don't think I have ever meet such an enthusiastic chap, he was talking to potentials the entire weekend! We had several chats about things, processes, materials, so I am looking forward to building this, especially as my late father and I spent 2 days at Lossiemouth researching the beast and its ground support kit. Yes, I still have all the sketches and photos...

Now, I must get some large sheets of abrasive paper to flat the mating surfaces, and I think I might chop off the tail brake unit to a) model it opened, and b) be able to get the parts in my Kawasaki's top box! This thing is huge!

You all know me well enough not to hold your breath on my project, but I am truly inspired by this. I'll keep you posted.

Tim

76964100_2480389785413552_72519593190238

38 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Unfortunately I'm very aware of that and its my main point all together. I flew actual quarter scale R/C with my dad for many years, and that "expression" is one of the if not the largest pet peeves of mine in all of modeling. Specifically when it comes to anything other that something that is a forth the size of the real deal.

Unlike every other term in our hobby, somehow 1/48th got associated with that term, when it had no association to the actual meaning of "quarter scale".  1 quarter inch is NOT quarter scale; its one quarter inch scale, big difference. Quarter scale is the same as any other scale, its size is in its name; in this case a quarter or 1/4th if the real thing. Just like "half scale" is just that, one half of the 1:1. In my book scale is science and for me the terms aren't interchangeable.

The name of Quarter Scale for 1/48, has been used since Aurora Models came up with it in the 1950s, long before RC,  when the only flying models were U control, in which 1/4 size airplanes would have been too large. Back then the only RC Models were being used by the military for target practice.and we have been using quarter scale for 1/48 ever since and decades before 1/4th scale RC, which has never been called quarter scale. Technically you are right, but with 1/32 bing used for planes and 1/35 being used for vehicles and helicopters, who says modeling is logical?

Edited by Fred Jack