1/32 Buccaneer anyone?

Kagemusha

What can happen with Cyano is your parts are a bit too dry and it won't glue whenever I get this I breath on it and it glues fine, having used this stuff for 30 years I'm completely at home with it. I find now the gluing of IM kits with proprietry model aircraft glue very unsatisfactory as the parts go all gooey as they melt together, I always use Dichloromethane which is it bit quicker and kinder to the plastic. Just always steer clear of the ultra runny cyano glue the only thing you'll acheive with that stuff is gluing yourself to the chair.

Graham

8 minutes ago, GrahamF said:

Just always steer clear of the ultra runny cyano glue the only thing you'll acheive with that stuff is gluing yourself to the chair.

Actually I use ultra thin CA all the time. It works perfect for me when using capillary action to wick it under small PE parts, plastic parts, and I especially like applying it to windscreens, as the capillary action wicks it neatly in the joint without hardly any access to clean up, and because it is so thin, it dries nearly instantly. 

2 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Actually I use ultra thin CA all the time. It works perfect for me when using capillary action to wick it under small PE parts, plastic parts, and I especially like applying it to windscreens, as the capillary action wicks it neatly in the joint without hardly any access to clean up, and because it is so thin, it dries nearly instantly. 

What's far better is  Dychloromethane there is no risk of fogging and you can put it on with a small brush almost like water and capillery action will do the rest, absolutely all industrial modelmakers use this for gluing perspex or styrene which is the material used predominately in professional models, I have had situations where due to static build up that thin cyano has jumped and messed up the item.

Graham

Ultra thin CA works really well for me, and I can use it across a wide breadth of materials without having to switch glues out. I also love the ultra thin CA because it's not a "weld" style of glue and leaves the mating surfaces crisp and undistorted, but yet still holds the surfaces together well. Plus the thin CA is very readily available at the brick and mortar LHS.

I've never had a static issue to date, but certainly something to look out for.

As to the CA fogging issue, it's never been something I needed to think about,  as I always Future dip, then polish my can-O-pees and windscreens.

1 hour ago, GrahamF said:

What's far better is  Dychloromethane there is no risk of fogging and you can put it on with a small brush almost like water and capillery action will do the rest, absolutely all industrial modelmakers use this for gluing perspex or styrene which is the material used predominately in professional models, I have had situations where due to static build up that thin cyano has jumped and messed up the item.

Graham

Hi Graham,

Can you give a link to the brand of Dychloromethane  glue you use please?

I have never heard of this stuff

Cheers

Nick

Across on Britmodeller , more details of the Buccaneer kit have appeared , along with a lot more info about , and when it will be ready 

It'll be FAA only with a basic decal set , fair enough , but Jennings what are the economics of producing a set of RAF  markings , and yes I know it'll need a bulged bomb bay 

although the Gulf war nose art markings may be the fav of many building the Buc, I have a hankering for 12 Sq marine strike aircraft in wrap round green grey with a load of 4 Sea Eagles..

ColinR

It is an astonishing project. If I hadn't such a penchant for antique silver coin the funds would have been there — is the kit available well into next year? 

I don't think Alan need be apologetic about the Buccaneer being a modeller's project. It looks fabulous. 

My only concern is his F-4K/M announcement. I really hope to be able to get a Hong Kong Models plastic edition next year and hope that's still firmly on the glidescope. 

On the Ark theme, a 1/32 Gannet AEW with the wings sold in sections would be a pretty cosmic. 

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
typo

• 5 weeks later...

I picked mine up at the weekend. Here are my thoughts!

What a great kit!

First of all though, this is not Tamiya, Trumpeter or Airfix! If you assemble kits then don’t buy this model!

This is a builders model. I’ve not measured anything but the shape looks ‘right’ - and I’m not going to measure anything either, what I don’t know, I don’t know and I’m happy.

Alan gives you some extremely well cast chunks of resin. This is a big aeroplane and the nickname ‘Brick’ is equally appropriate for this kit!

I expect that a fair amount of scratch building will be required to add detail. I think that apart from the usual books, drawings etc (the Haynes Manual may be very useful! ) a copy of the Airfix 1/48th kit might be very useful. In addition I’d also get hold of a NeOmega cockpit (about £18 + postage)  because that is also beautiful. I think these 2 3-D references would then be very helpful as reference when building Alan’s kit.

Everything supplied is very well cast. The glazing is nicely clear and I am very happy with that. The cockpit is also very well detailed and it looks comprehensive. The undercarriage bay inserts look fine and you are given a pair of drop tanks, a body refuelling pod and another pod - a Palouste maybe? I haven’t checked. The wing panels feature perfectly cast vortex generators and the panel detail looks fine. Alan says in his instructions - which are also very adequate - that the fuselage half panel lines may not align perfectly but thats where another bit of modelling is required.

Any downsides? I think Alan would agree that the decals aren’t great. They are not his strong point but this is described as a ‘Garage’ kit and it is. If you can’t be brilliant at everything, never mind. In truth, some would be very happy with the decals and others would resort to something else. Not a huge number of stencils either but I think I would resort to the Airfix sheet to see whats missing and how easily it can be produced. Maybe someone else could come up with a solution?

So, is it worth £180 ?

I think that the straight answer is ‘Yes’. Alan gives you something that no one else has produced. Will anyone else make a Buccaneer in this scale? Who knows but I wouldn’t hold my breath!

And Alan tells me that he’s restricting production to 15 units and I think this is because of the cost of resin, mould making rubber - which doesn’t last forever - and the fact that it’s not easy to get good castings.

Anything else? I hope the resin main gear legs are strong enough!! And, thank you Alan for doing a huge amount of work !

"I expect that a fair amount of scratch building will be required to add detail" and "£180" are not two things I ever want to see in close proximity to each other, especially if the £180 in question is mine

:rofl: