IL-2M Sturmovik

Whitey

Just finished the Hobby Boss IL-2M Sturmovik.

Overall a really nice kit with very few issues. Added some Eduard photoetch in the cockpit and oil cooler, resin exhaust pipes, Aires wheels, wire brake lines and HGW seatbelts but otherwise out of the box.

The trickiest part was the white dive angle markings on the nose. Instead of being one big sheet, each line was individual but connected to the centre and aligning them took some time

IMG_4530-X4.jpg

MRP paints and the decals are from the ICM I-16. I bought Maketar masks but found them too fiddly to get proper consistent alignment with very thin lines at the edges.

IMG_4523-X3.jpg

The Eduard set came with clear windscreen inserts with the alignment markings. I tried fixing them in place with Future - it took a week not to dry, Tamiya X-22 - it didn't look all that flash and in the end settled for some Wing Nut Wings decals - the line between the different aircraft markings on the sheet. Worked a treat.

IMG_4524-X2.jpg

IMG_4535-X4.jpg

IMG_4544-X3.jpg

Dirtied up with oils and pastel dust. The tail wheel is fragile and broke off. Ended up drilling out the main leg and inserting a pin. I think it is strong enough.

IMG_4540-X2.jpg

I was fairly concerned about breaking the big cannons which had to be inserted into gondolas and attached to the wing before painting. I cut the barrels off, drilled a suitable hole in each cannon and they just slide in now. Small machine guns were made from brass rod. Ezi line for the aerial.

IMG_4541-X4.jpg

IMG_4518-X4.jpg

A fun build, highly recommended. 

3 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

Well done!   I love the big cannon IL-2.  Did you have any good references you can share?    

Troy. 

Hi Troy, thanks, but no mate. Struggled for references except for a few museum pieces that could be anything. 

I was in Seattle a couple of years ago and was super impressed by FHC's example that still flies. Based some of the details on my photos but not sure how much modern work has been done to make it flyable though. Super impressed by its size - it is a big aircraft.

IMG_1863-X3.jpg

19 hours ago, dmthamade said:

Yup!! that's a great build. A challenging build, looks great!! What did you use to fill the rivets on the rear fuselage?

Don

Thanks Don, I forgot to mention the rear fuselage. I used Mr Surfacer - sprayed on and sanded back, and sprayed on and sanded back until they were all gone.