Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War

dodgem37

By Robert Coram.

Just finished speed reading through a book I had no idea was in my library.  If you have a chance look into it.  Boyd developed the Energy Maneuverability Theory, was Head of Academics at the AWS, called 40-Second Boyd; could turn on a flying adversary in less than 40 seconds, was involved with the development of the F-15, F-16, F-18, and A-10, but lesser so.  He developed the OODA Loop and Patterns of Conflict.  Remarkable Military Strategist.  Less so as a father.

https://www.avweb.com/ownership/review-of-boyd-the-fighter-pilot-who-changed-the-art-of-war/

Highly Recommended.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 8:20 PM, dodgem37 said:

By Robert Coram.

Just finished speed reading through a book I had no idea was in my library.  If you have a chance look into it.  Boyd developed the Energy Maneuverability Theory, was Head of Academics at the AWS, called 40-Second Boyd; could turn on a flying adversary in less than 40 seconds, was involved with the development of the F-15, F-16, F-18, and A-10, but lesser so.  He developed the OODA Loop and Patterns of Conflict.  Remarkable Military Strategist.  Less so as a father.

https://www.avweb.com/ownership/review-of-boyd-the-fighter-pilot-who-changed-the-art-of-war/

Highly Recommended.

Sincerely,

Mark

I had the great pleasure of first hearing and reading about Colonel John Boyd when I read the book ‘The Pentagons Wars: Reformers Challenge the Old Guard’ back in the early 1990’s whilst studying for my Degree in War Studies. If you can get hold of a copy, you won’t be disappointed. 

I have been fascinated with the man and the challenges he faced ever since easing the book. It left me with a deep and long-lasting admiration for man who, whilst by no means being perfect, showed not only great and undying affection for his Country and his profession, but a white hot intellect and honesty missing in great parts of most military organisations. A polymath of superb foresight and range, he is sorely missed.