Restored Me 262 photos

2 hours ago, Theo said:

Beautiful pics, I remember Howard Hughes wanted to participate in a race with early jets with a ME-262, maybe this bird?

The performance envelope of the '262 was virtually identical to the Lockheed P-80, so assuming an actual contest, one winning over the other would've come down to the pilots flying them. I have no idea the actual reason for the '262 not participating, but it was probably a combination of big egos, concern for safety considering the '004 engine issues, and the sight of a defeated enemy's aircraft staying with the pack probably winning out in the end.

Nice link.   They detailed some interesting features including the rough finish and the use of doped fabric to seal some panel lines.   Hope at one point we’ll see this replicated in a model. Really adds a bit of “character”.   

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

While there's no earthly way I'd strap a Jumo 004 powered airplane on and fly it, I look forward to seeing (and hearing) this one fly.  I just hope their rebuild is more reliable than the originals.

Agreed, leaving those on the ground and using modern replacements to fly seems like a no brainer.  Actually leaving the whole plane on the ground as an original example and let the newly built replicas rip up the sky seems like an even better idea. 

Guest Vincent
On 10/1/2019 at 12:45 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

The FAA probably had something to say about that.  

I doubt the FAA would be the reason. You can get a LW harness certified with proper belting material....

But that particular plane had a US harness installed after the war

Edited by Vincent